100 users online (0 members and 100 guests)  

Digg button stumble

Related

1. Form Data to XML    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 0
  3. Replies: 0
  4. php data order    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Update of data using PHP truncates text data

I have a series of HTML and PHP pages for an Incident Reporting system. The page I use to enter initial data works, and data is inserted into a MySQL DB. The data is mostly text, many with spaces.

The PHP page that I use to select the data from a previously entered Incident report also works, displaying the data including text with spaces.

Here is the issue: The PHP page that I wrote to update the DB truncates all text data that has a space that is a dropdown field. Text that is in a text field is not affected.

Here is some of my code:

The html page that creates the report has this code (for an example) and it creates the data correctly.

HTML Code:
    Severity of Incident:
    <select name="severity" size="1">
    <option value="">Select a Severity Option</option>
    <option value="Level1 - No Obvious Harm">Level 1 - No Obvious Harm</option>
    <option value="Level2 - Non-permanent Harm">Level 2 - Non-permanent Harm</option>
    <option value="Level3 - Semi-permanent Harm">Level 3 - Semi-permanent Harm</option>
    <option value="Level4 - Major Permanent Harm">Level 4 - Major Permanent Harm</option>
    <option value="Level5 - Death">Level 5 - Death</option>
    </select>
    ---------
    The edit php code does this:
    php displays the data from:

PHP Code:
    $sev=$myrow["severity"]; 
    and passes this:

HTML Code:
    <select name="severity" size="1">
    PHP Code:
    <?php echo "<option value = ".$sev.">".$sev."</option>"?>
    <option value="Level1 - No Obvious Harm">Level 1 - No Obvious Harm</option>
    <option value="Level2 - Non-permanent Harm">Level 2 - Non-permanent Harm</option>
    <option value="Level3 - Semi-permanent Harm">Level 3 - Semi-permanent Harm</option>
    <option value="Level4 - Major Permanent Harm">Level 4 - Major Permanent Harm</option>
    <option value="Level5 - Death">Level 5 - Death</option>
    </select>
    and it truncates at first space in the DB "Level2".

BUT if you re-select it, then it goes into the DB without truncating. "Level2 - Non-permananet Harm"

It truncates the $sev data, if that makes sense.

I think the crux of the issue is that I am saying to update all fields, and when no change is made, the drop-down text data gets truncated.

I have tried wrapping $sev with single or double quotes but that just causes a PHP error. Is it a case where I have to somehow have it compare field by field and only update the changed fields?

Another issue - My PHP Page for updating the DB now shows not only the choices for the drop-down text that are legitimate, but it additionally shows the selected value from the DB.

Level2 - Non-permanent Harm <-------------- from the select page of previously entered data
    Level1 - No Obvious Harm
    Level2 - Non-permanent Harm
    Level3 - Semi-permanent Harm
    Level4 - Major Permanent Harm
    Level5 - Death

The only solutions I can think of are:
    * Don't use Drop-down text fields (not a good choice - there are about 15 drop-downs on the form)
    * Replace all spaces in the drop-downs with underscores (ugly)
    * Don't use text values in drop-downs that contain spaces at all but pass number values instead (not user friendly)
    * Update only the fields that get changed (how?!?)

TIA,

jej1216
    Last edited by jej1216; 09-09-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Omitted information before

Status

Re: Update of data using PHP truncates text data

I don't know exactly what you're trying to do, but I think you should use a code value for your dropdown, like so:

Code:
    <option value="">Select a Severity Option</option>
    <option value="1">Level 1 - No Obvious Harm</option>
    <option value="2">Level 2 - Non-permanent Harm</option>
    <option value="3">Level 3 - Semi-permanent Harm</option>
    <option value="4">Level 4 - Major Permanent Harm</option>
    <option value="5">Level 5 - Death</option>
    So you actually store a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 in your database. Then use a code description table that translates the values 1 thru 5 to their corresponding descriptions.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more

Status

Sounds to me like it is an issue in the database. The code looks fine to me. There are two things I would check. First, verify the field type in the database and make sure it is set to allow more than 6 characters. Second, double-check the insert/update query and make sure your quotes are in the right place. Make sure that any strings in the formatted query are surrounded by single quotes.

New User

Status

Check what you get in post (print_r($_POST), check what you have in DB. Maybe you have too small cell size in bd.

Or use digital ID - it true.