25 users online (0 members and 25 guests)  

Related

1. Overflow hidden in a table    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Displaying a table in Thunderbird    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. td { overflow: hidden; } ?    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 10
  4. Displaying pdfs    Forum: Graphics Forum
    Replies: 4
  5. Help me with displaying HTML tags    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Help with displaying only a portion of overflow

Okay a simplified version of my problem is this:

I have a small table of 2x2, with the right two cells merged. I have content in the right cell in the form of text. The cell has the following formatting:

overflow: hidden;

and the text has the following formatting:

position: relative;
    left: -91px;
    vertical-align: top;
    text-align: justify;

The left cells are 182px wide, so the text looks like it is centered with respect to the entire table, with the overflow into the left two cells being cut off.

The problem now is, I only want the text covered by the top left cell to be cut, and I want the text in the bottom left cell to still be visible. I tried using the 'clip:' property, but you cannot specify a non-rectangular area so it's of no help to me.

There is an image in the top left cell, and nothing in the bottom left cell, so the other way to fix my problem would be to find some way of having the overflow appear BEHIND the other elements, so that the image would cover the text, and the empty cell would not.

New User

Status

Re: Help with displaying only a portion of overflow

Ok I found a way to illustrate my problem so that you might understand a bit better. I want the text to be partly invisible like this:

Code:
    ___|456
    123|456
    123|456
    123|456
    So the text is overflowing into the left two cells, but I want the text in the top left to be invisible, while the text in the bottom left is still visible. There is an image in the top left, and nothing in the bottom left.

Status

After reading your OP several times, I am not quite certain what you are trying to do.

It looks like you are wanting to use a <table> to organize the cells. If that is correct, it also sounds like you are wanting to place the table over some text from another element.

However, because that makes no sense to me, I am going with my second opinion.

According to your diagram (and the descriptions you gave in both posts), you have a string of text: 123456.
    In your diagram, this string is repeated giving you the following OSD (although this can be several different lines of text, I am using your diagram for illustration purposes):
    Code:
    You want to take the lines above and place them in a table. This will give you the following format:
    Code:
    123       456
    123       456
    123       456

123       456
    123       456
    123       456
    You then want to remove the text from cell (1,1) and place an image there instead. Giving you the following format:
    Code:
    img       456

123       456
    123       456
    123       456
    Is this correct?

New User

Status

That's almost correct. The table isn't actually 2x2, because the right two cells are merged like this

Code:
    ______
    |   |   |
    |   |   |
    |___|   |
    |   |   |
    |___|___|
       |
    And the text is only in the right cell, and is relatively positioned, with the margin moved left so that it looks like its centered. Then the rest is correct, I want to put an image covering the text.

I finally managed to figure it out though, after asking on another forum and getting some advice I used z-index to move the image on top of the text.

Status

Good advice. Glad you were able to get it figured out.