28 users online (1 members and 27 guests)  

Thread: PHP Editors

Disabled

Status

PHP Editors

What programs does everyone use?

Do you use stuff like Dreamweaver and Frontpage or go with simpler methods like notepad, notpad++ ect?

also is this more a matter of preference on what to use can they all do the same things?

Status

Re: PHP Editors

Personally, I use vi (a text editor similar to Notepad++) and paper. What is used to develop, though, boils down to personal preference. I will never use Frontpage because of all the excess code that is put in (every edit increases the amount of code). I do not use Dreamweaver because of the lack of control I feel there is (though that is just me. You actually have quite a bit of control.).

My recommendations:

For designing/laying out a page: Dreamweaver.

For code development (particularly server-side which I do a lot of): vi or another text editor

New User

Status

Re: PHP Editors

I also find Dreamweaver "clunky" to write code. That's probably more habit than anything else. Whatever you start with is prob what you will be most comfortable using. I use a program called Notetab for most hand-coding and Windows Notepad for occasional quick edits. They have a free Light version.

I also find it helpful to make template-like files with code that you may reuse often. Make sure you label them clearly and they will be a big help especially on larger sites. It also helps to use includes instead of adding duplicate code to every page on your site.

For me, CSS is easier in Topstyle. They also have a free Lite version. You can compare how various browsers(or css versions) will handle your css by clicking a drop-down menu. They also auto-fill values from automatic drop-down menus as you type, and auto-place the bottom bracket. And it color-codes so you can see things better.

I once made some minor edits to a Frontpage site - just a couple pages(without using Frontpage), and thought I'd just clean up the code real good for them and busted the site colors and layout. It only took a minute to fix their site(make sure you back everything up), but I was shocked how the code on one page busted the rest. Frontpage has it's own language that's not meant for hand-editing. And it's very bloated obtrusive code, as jthayne mentioned.

If you start in Dreamweaver you will prob like it and stick to it, it's pretty robust, I've been hand-programming since the early 80's and hand-coding websites since the early 90's so I'm pretty set in my ways, but I do like some of the features in Dreamweaver, such as how CSS layout lines show margin and padding, so it's easier to comprehend why objects sometimes interact differently than you expect, instead of trying to just visualize it all in your head.

That's my 2cents. Now I gotta do another website to make up for it...