38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Related

1. New to this Board    Forum: Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
  2. Great Board Hello!    Forum: Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
  3. My Board Show off    Forum: Show it off!
  4. Promote My Board    Forum: Website Promotion Forum
    New User

Status

I need help on to create a message board

Hello, I'm a beginner on HTML, and was wondering if anyone knows how to like setup a message board. I want to make up my own instead of using one that was already made up. One that posts up messages from other people. I tried to look on the internet, but there examples wasn't good. And it didn't turned out right. I just wanted to try out this site, and maybe get some help.

~THANKS~

P.S. I don't know if Microsoft FrontPage 98 would help me any bit. If someone knows how that works.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: I need help on to create a message board

Youu are going to need alot more knowledge than just HTML. You will need to study up on databases, either php or asp (depending on your server)

A forum that is both secure and functional is not a do it yourself project for most users.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status

I am going to echo Dave on this
    Quote Originally Posted by HTML View Post
    A forum that is both secure and functional is not a do it yourself project for most users.
    And to throw in my 2 cents, do NOT, I repeat NOT use Frontpage 98 to design your site. I do not recommend Frontpage in any flavor, but definitely not one that is that old as you will have a hard time adhering to current standards.

Instead, try Dreamweaver or 1stPage (the 2000 version is free). I promise you will be much happier with the results.

Out of curiosity, what is it that the examples did not do that you wanted it to?

New User

Status

Cool Re: I need help on to create a message board

Sorry that I didn't post back in a while. OK Dave. What is the next best thing to go with after the HTML stuff? I really want to learn how to do web sites. I started using Dreamweaver in high school back in 2007. I was learning it (from a book) until the school year ended. I don't have the program on my own computer. I never heard of 1stPage(2000 version).

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

notepad.exe is the best program I have ever used. The fact that it is pre-installed on every windows machine is just a bonus.

Of course this means you have to read some HTML tutorials. It would also benefit you to learn a little about CSS.
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Talking Re: I need help on to create a message board

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsupgirl88 View Post
    Hello, I'm a beginner on HTML, and was wondering if anyone knows how to like setup a message board. I want to make up my own instead of using one that was already made up. One that posts up messages from other people. I tried to look on the internet, but there examples wasn't good. And it didn't turned out right. I just wanted to try out this site, and maybe get some help.

~THANKS~

P.S. I don't know if Microsoft FrontPage 98 would help me any bit. If someone knows how that works.
    If you are just learning, I would search Google(or whatever) for HTML(and CSS - see below) tutorials. Also, if you see a web page you like, view the source code(View > Source in IE). Compare it to the web page and see what each part of the code does. There may be advanced stuff in there, ignore that and try to understand everything you can. I think you get the idea, look under the hood, so to speak.

Use only a text editor at first, as Dave mentioned, to really learn the way the code is formed. If you decide to use another program in the future, it will be much easier to understand if you know how the coding process works first. When looking at other people's coding, be cautioned that not everyone does it right! - or even the same. That's why you should use the tutorials.

Search and join HTML forums like this one. It's almost certain that someone else encountered the exact same thing you have a question about. The key is to do a lot of searching before asking a question as someone has probably already answered your question somewhere.

It also has become key for webmasters to learn CSS and HTML simultaneously if at all possible. It will make your future coding much easier on you.

There's a ton of good tips on this forum alone, check em all out, and even check out problems other people encountered and how they were solved.

Happy coding!