42 users online (1 members and 41 guests)  

Related

1. Starting a New Script Site...    Forum: Barter/Trade
    Replies: 2
  2. Starting with a new web host?    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 0
    New User

Status

Exclamation need help starting up site

hi there me and my friend are opening a business. we need a website to promote it. i purchased a domain name from cheapdomainnames.com yesterday. bearing in mind i have never done this before how do i start making my site as i cant get past the control panel of cheapdomainnames.com. how do i access my site to add content and then how do i make it live when im happy with it. cheers luke

Status

Re: need help starting up site

The first question really is: "Did you purchase hosting or just a domain name?"

New User

Status

Re: need help starting up site

ML Bathrooms,

Congratulations on taking the first step to getting your business online!

After you have purchased your domain name, you need to sign up for Web site hosting through either the provider you purchased the domain from or another reputable provider.

Some questions to ask when deciding on the provider and hosting plan is:

1. Will you be building the site yourself? If so, will you need HTML editing tools provided for you, or will you be going in via Frontpage, Dreamweaver, etc?
    2. Will you need a database and/or programming language installed (PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, ColdFusion, Ruby, etc)?
    3. How much traffic do you expect the Web site to generate? Usually for brochure-style sites, 1 gig a month is fine. Other sites, like ecommerce, need a lot more.
    4. Will you need ecommerce?

Best,
    Paul