46 users online (1 members and 45 guests)  

Thread: Web Design Fees

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. Setup shipping fees by continent    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 0

Status

Web Design Fees

Hi:

I hope this is posted to the correct forum - if not, please let me know.

Someone I know recently showed me her "professionally designed" website - it was intended to show off her skills as a business consultant. The first thought I had was, "FrontPage" and in looking at the code realized I was right. The original page is at www.wisedecisions.biz/original.html I redisigned it and it is the home page at wisedecisions.biz. I think I did a pretty good job - I need to add some meta tags, but that will be tended to.

What I do not know is how much to charge. It took roughly twenty hours for design, dealing with her, and rewriting the stuff she gave me. I did all the coding myself with an html editor.

Specifically, what should I charge? An hourly rate and if so how much? A per page rate and if so how much? Or one rate for the whole site and if so how much?

Thanks for any input,

Springo

Status
    sorry - misplaced period. Original: www.wisedecisions.biz/original.html my version: www.wisedecisions.biz

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Granted the new page is MUCH better than the old, too bad you did not figure a price for the work BEFORE now.

At this point you are pretty much at the "take what you can get" point. Of course you could always play the game in which you take back the page if you do not get the price you want. If you do this, you get nothing and they get a nice little idea for a new page in which they can build themselves.

Dave

Status
    Thanks for the response.

If I may, any idea as to a specific dollar amount - $45.00/hour $200/page = $X.XX/site - not just this one, but desinging in general. I have another site I am working on and plan on doing more int the future.

Evil twin of Dave

Status
    I don't know if you're all done at this point but it's usually a bad idea to put red or shades of red on grey backgrounds....readability is tough for some....just a thought.

-The Other Dave

Status
    Where I work, we normally don't do anything for less than $75/hr

Also, this is also considered illegal, well im some states. This thread could be considered as Price Fixing :/

Status
    When I started my accounting/tax preparation/bookkeeping business back in 1978, I made up a price list for each phase of the service - charging bookkeeping rates for bookkeeping, research for research, etc.

My initial rates were less than 1/3 rd of what they eventually became after a couple years experience. The easiest way to find out what others are charging in the same field is to offer to redo what others have done when the billing for their service is provided at no charge - the charges only coming from maintenance thereafter.

There's nothing illegal about talking about fees and charges - it may only become illegal when people agree to fix them based upon such discussions - as is done all the time through the state licensing board process which seems to be immune from such considerations.

Status
    Ahh, good thing you know something about price fixing becuase I have no idea.

Another idea I have played with, and that has been suggested many times, is to look up all the local web design firms in your area, and call them..

Give them a fake project, and see what the price they quote you is.

Then average them all up, and there is your price

Status
    Here's another tip:

First, figure what you're hourly time is worth for various tasks - keeping in mind that if you are doing the administrative work on a project, that should only be worth administrative skill time -- higher level skills being worth more. Second, triple those amounts as a baseline hourly rate for various tasks - you must keep track of project time on some sort of time sheet -- if the business grows enough and others are hired at the varying pay rates, they'll need to fill in the same type of time sheets.

Most people underestimate their hourly rates because they do not account for all the subsidiary costs associate with running a business - like taxes, utilities, rent, equipment, advertising and promotion, benefits, retirement, interest on using ones own (or, if really fortunate, other people's) money, etc. Those costs are probably at least double what one would make doing the same work for someone else.

Status
    Thanks everyone very much - I have some good ideas now.

Springo

New User

Status

Red face

none of the links work

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tweb
    none of the links work

This is a really old, old topic man!