57 users online (0 members and 57 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. Buying Content Sites    Forum: Websites For Sale
    Replies: 1

Status

Most Important Things When Buying Online/Content Management

Hello everyone

I have a few questions, that I would like to get an idea from as to where im going to progress with my future programs..

1) What are the most important things to you, when you are considering purchasing a Application online, i.e. vBulletin

2) What do you find most important about Content Management? There are so many CMS's available, what exactly are you looking for that they offer/don't offer.

By getting everyone to answer these questions, your being a big help, much more than I could possibly thank you for. It would mean alot to get your opinions

Thanks Everybody,
    Eric

Administrator

Status
    1) Not qualified to answer this one, always go open source. However, I do purchase local apps, like my text editor (textpad.com). The most important thing I find with these is reliability, support and continuing development.

2) Different people want different things from CMS, which is why there are so many out there. Some people want 'plug-and-play' , some people want control/power/ Personally, I go for control.

At the moment, I am involved with developing an opensource CMS aimed purely at the experienced developer, automating many server-side and DHTML tasks. Its called Spyder, keep an eye out
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status

Open Source will be the death of me..

I thought about OS, but then after being involved in there community, and looking at all the jerks ( jerks to be nice, I have several other words ) and how rude they were, I have turned away from them..

For every 1 commercial script, there are 10 better OS scripts they claim. Just because something costs money, doesn't make it "sell-out crap".

Anywayz, I'll be watching for spyder, and you watch for sitemod, or it will poke ya in the eye when you don't expect it. ( not it's not commerical, yes I have been working on it for over a year, yes I hope to finish sometime before I die )

Status
    1) I haven't yet purchased any commercial applications for online.

2) ease of installation, ability to customize it using an online "skinning" function as opposed to editing template files, support, continuing development plan.

Status
    Originally posted by Enigma
    1) I haven't yet purchased any commercial applications for online.

2) ease of installation, ability to customize it using an online "skinning" function as opposed to editing template files, support, continuing development plan.
    Thanks Enigma. I think ease of installation is a good one on everyone's list. Why monkey with files, I just wanna upload, access the install script and go

As for an "online skinning" function, could you describe that please?

A system I have at the moment, you have a "template set" which contains a base template, and certin other pieces. Why I want to do is provide JS buttons to auto insert tags where you want it, say <% pageBody %> would insert your page body, sound like an idea?

It would be great if Dave would throw his opinions in here...

Eric

Status
    What I meant by "online skinning" is the way that InvisionBoard is doing it, for the most part, where I can specify the colors and images that I want to use using an online GUI, save them, and see exactly what the effect is without having to upload any files. If you want, I can give you access to the admin section of one of my InvisionBoards and you can see what I mean.

Status
    Thanks but im very aware of how IBF does there skinning.

One thing about CMS's though, that way is almost impossible ( specifying colors ). Then you will have the ever popular php-nuke look.

The way I have it though, is that you can upload a template via the upload form, or just create a new one, all in your browser. There is no need to touch a FTP client after you have uploaded the files to install

Status
    That would probably be an OK approach, especially for us poor 56Kb impaired folks.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Zaire, I have not been able to put much thought into anything as of late. Most of the time when you see me here I am just making a quick scan to see what is up, or I may have just left the browser open and gone out or even to sleep.

I will try to give some feedback towards the end of the week, remind me if I forget.

For now....I'm off to get married in a few hours.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    Wow! your getting married, OMG I had no idea

Congrat's man, I wasn't aware! GOOD LUCK!

Status
    Congratulations, Dave!

Administrator

Status
    Congrats Dave.

Enjoy your wedding night
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Thanks folks, we have been together for almost 4 years and were engaged last year shortly adfter 9-11. I was a little worried with all the Iraq news and other problems due to the fact that it was at the Officers Club at Randolph A.F.B., any problems and we would have been cancelled.

Zaire, though I have never used a Content Management System, if I did I would imagine I would look for the same things I looked for in a forum.

1: Top notch security is job #1
    2: Large community base in which customers actively help to build additional functions.
    3: Ability to integrate with other scripts.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    Originally posted by Dave
    1: Top notch security is job #1
    This is always my #1 priority, in anything I write.

2: Large community base in which customers actively help to build additional functions.
    You tend to see this alot with OS projects, but vBulletin is the one I think your referring to, becuase i'd have to say they have the biggest community.

3: Ability to integrate with other scripts.
    This is also something I strive to do well with. The project has an API, that you can use to add things to various parts of the sytem, and allows 3rd party integration.. vBulletin + phpBB support are also going ot be integrated

Thanks for your input, it's really nice that you guys could help me out, it's going to be tremendous help to Mike and I.

Thanks,
    Eric

PS Congrats on the wedding again

Status
    1) What are the most important things to you, when you are considering purchasing a Application online, i.e. vBulletin
    While I usually do not purchase Apps offline, some general things I look for are:

1)Security
    2)Control/Options
    3)Friendly user interface

2) What do you find most important about Content Management? There are so many CMS's available, what exactly are you looking for that they offer/don't offer.
    Personally, I am big on the level of control offered, but also, I like detail spent on the interface. Having everything easily accessible and nicely organized is very important to me as well.

Hope this helps some.