69 users online (0 members and 69 guests)  

Related

1. list not functioning properly    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 15
  2. Site doesn't work properly on IE5    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. Working with frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 6
  4. CGI script doesnt run properly    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 0
  5. IE not displaying fixed images properly    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Question Frames Not Working Properly

Here's a link to a site I'm working on:
    www.the-jitters.com/jitters1a.html
    If you click the link that says "Liquid Batteries" it links like it should.
    If you try "Snuggle Up" or "Be Nice! Share!" they open in a new window....not what I want!
    I did those exactly as the "Liquid Batteries" one and can't get it to work.
    Any help would be appreciated. THANKS

PS--don't click on the other links!
    Last edited by HTML; 03-20-2007 at 12:35 PM.

Status
    That's not a frames site from what I can see.

Change the TARGET=(various) to TARGET=_new to get each of them to open in the same (new) window. At present, they are working exactly as you've directed them to - each opening in a new window with their own unique name.

New User

Status
    Thanks for the tip....will try that and see what happens

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Hi JitteryKelly, welcome to the forums

The problem is on your frameset page you have named the main window twice, i you left a space in too.
    PHP Code:
    <frame name=" jitters1" src="http://www.the-jitters.com/jitters1.html" name="rightside"
    If you remove
    PHP Code:
    name=" jitters1" 
    it should work as intended.

Dave

New User

Status
    Aha! Thanks Dave! I see that now! These frames are soooo confusing! It's my first time working with them and I really want to get them to work so as my site looks professional! But what I'm not understanding either is that everything looks fine and works when previewed in my HTML editor *Coffee Cup* but once uploaded it doesn't. Any ideas?

New User

Status
    Woooohooooo! Thanks for all of the help! I got it all to work and it looks fabulous, if I do say so myself! lol
    Just to double check feel free to check it out!
    www.the-jitters.com
    Thanks Again!!
    Last edited by HTML; 03-20-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Status
    Okay, now is acts more like a frames site and is working very good. Only the Echoes site opens in a new window - I'd suggest renaming the TARGET= to something consistently generic (like _new) just in case you add another 'new widowed' topic -- that will open each of them in that same _new window instead of separate windows, thereby cluttering up the users taskbar.

The grahics, colors and 'unclutteredness' at your site are OUTSTANDING!!

(I've just made your site the http://0210.baadsite.com and http://latest.baadsite.com both accessible at http://www.baadsite.com )

Suggestion:

Make the Echoes and whatever other images appearing on the entry page clickable, too. That way users who haven't bookmarked them previously can avoid the extra frames step to get to them right away - user friendly.
    Last edited by HTML; 03-20-2007 at 12:36 PM.

New User

Status
    WOW Thanks so much Benzden! I appreciate the listing on baadsite! I'm pretty honored too seeing how this is my first attempt at a site of this magnitude...outside of the graphics site I do for fun! And coming from someone like you who seems to have been doing this sometime is truly an honor! THANK YOU! But can I ask...what is KISS? *novice here!*
    I do want the Echoes site to open in a separate window so that's ok by me. And thank you very much for the advice and tips! I will see what I can do with them to make the site even better!

Status
    KISS - Keep it Short and Sweet

or

KISS - Keep it Simple, Stupid.

In other words, sometimes the simplest approach is the best.

New User

Status
    Ah! Ok! That's what I had thought but I wasn't too sure and didn't wanna look stupid! LOL

Status
    KISS is usually reserved for those sites that accomplish their objective without cluttering it up with ads, pop-ups and extraneous writing - oftentimes the copyright and other authorship is kept to a very small size at the bottom of the page so that it's available for those who are intestested but doesn't detract from the primary message of the site.

New User

Status
    Well cool that's what we wanted because I know me, personally, I don't like all of that pop up stuff, heavily loaded with java or other bs...makes me leave the site. And those comet cursors or trailing cursors?!? Really a pet peeve of mine too! lol

Status
    Yeah, they're usually there because the webmaster is just trying to show off - without realizing how bare assed naked it makes them look to other webmasters. Most of us pass through that phase as we learn (and begin eliminating more code than we keep), but those comet cursors and similar "user computer" controlling activities are really unfriendly and almost hostile.