53 users online (1 members and 52 guests)  

Thread: File size

Related

1. Opening a file to a constant "size".    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. Verifing Window 'size' upon Opening a File.    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 8
  3. Replies: 1
  4. Replies: 2
  5. Small file size menus    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 2

Status

File size

Ok, I just went through a bunch of posts regarding usability and all they all seem to indicate that a max of 50kb on the index page and 60kb or so on subsequent pages is the way to go. I am still working on a site for someone - www.photographybymarea.com I am almost afraid to have anyone look at it because about all that I really consider to be done is the home page - the rest still need work on layout and colors.

I am having a couple of issues. (According to a qualified therapist, I am sure more than that, but this is about graphics.) Anyway, although i like the black background on the home page, I don't like it on the subsequent pages and cannot come up with a good replacement. Is it a good idea to have only one or two background colors for the entire site or can we come up with a small number of colors (4-5) to use as background depending on the images on that page?

The second issue is that because it is a site intended to show off photography, wouldn't the visitor expect the files to be larger and therefore expect a longer download time? When a user clicks an image to see a larger version, the size is generally 60-70kb. Is this all right?

Since it is a visual sites, any ideas on how to make it more pleasing?

Thanks,

Springo

Administrator

Status
    Having different background colors is no problem as long as the text is still readable.

With photographs, choice of background/frame color is very very important (as you probably know), so I would expect style shifts between pages.

Your right, anyone going to a photography site will be expecting large file sizes. Keep the intro page relatively small, but don't worry too much about the 50k limit in this instance. Its a guideline, not a rule. Thumbnails are good, tho.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status

IMHO, I'm not so sure that different background colours is such a good idea. The most important factor of a website is the content. If you want to create a gallery effect, the walls should be a light neutral colour and consistent throughout each room.
    It's correct that anybody going to a photography site is expecting longer download times, but on my project own project which has photos of fiber art I've included a little blurb at the top saying something to the effect of "Please be patient" at the top of the gallery page with instructions to click each photo for a larger image. I don't use thumnails (customer instructions: she didn't like the quality of them!), so when they click for the larger image it at least loads instantly. I've yet to hear any complaints about download times. I wouldn't worry too much about the file size.

Super Newbie

Status
    thumbnailed pages should be small, but i'm sure they're willing to wait for the full-sized images

Status
    thanks for the newer input.

I also am dealing with a client - she has somewhat dropped the project in the first place but am still having trouble getting her to agree on the lighter background colors.

Super Newbie

Status
    doesn't give u much freedom does she?