40 users online (0 members and 40 guests)  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Related

1. Replies: 26
  2. How to Block Copying    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 16
  3. Replies: 5
    New User

Status

Question How do I stop people copying photos on my website ?

http://www.beecroft.me.uk

I have recently learnt HTML and have created my own website (above).

One of the things that has been pointed out to me by one my friends is that I should be able to stop people copying photos from my webpages or even using them as backgrounds.

Is there a way to code this ?

I have been using CSS scripts and working my way thru HTML coding - I was a mere beginner 2 weeks ago !

Any help would be appreciated !

Oh and any pointers on my website would also be useful....

Thanks,

Fraser

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Hey FraserB, welcome to the forums

It is not possible to keep people from taking your images, Once they view your page the contents are in thier temp internet files.

You may find more information by searching the forums for "no right click".

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Administrator

Status
    If you don't want people to have your images, then don't publish them on the internet.

Its simple, but I have found its very true.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    http://www.beecroft.me.uk

Thanks for the comments.

I had not even thought about diasabling this function when I put the photos on the web last week.

It was one of my "friends" who has done a few websites of their own that said that this is what I should do. Looking through this forum, it appears that I should leave it as it is.

I agree that if you don't want pepole copying stuff you shouldn't put it up there.

The whole idea of my website was so that people, friends and family can see and utilise these things if they want.

Whilst not quite finished and as I have a long way to go before I make that perfect website I'll just keep plugging along.....

Fraser

Status
    If these are images for viewing and not part of the webpage theme, you can create a gallery and only offer thumbnails to the general public. Then setup a member area where users can signup/pay to view full images. There is no practical way to prevent a user from copying an image. However, you may want to be more concerned with users hotlinking to your images. This is what can devour your BW.

Status
    Alternatively, when you find a great demand for Hot-linking, you can create an advertising banner promoting something you can make money off of and then rename and upload it in place of the image being hot-linked (change the name of the real image you want at your site). Then, sites will unintentionally be promoting whatever it is you want to promote with their only recourse being to STOP THE undesired hot linking.

New User

Status
    There is a java script available so when people right click on your page a message comes up that right click is disabled...is there an e mail thingy on your web site..I can e mail ya the code n ya can just paste it in

or ya can contact me thru my website

http://www.willowskeep.com

Administrator

Status
    disable right-click scripts are pointless and annoying.
    The image is already on my hard drive in temp internet files, so stopping me right-clicking is not going to make much difference.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Super Newbie

Status

RE

the only way to stop people from copying your images is by denying them access to those pages, by setting up a login page or some such. u'll probably need to learn asp or php or some other scripting language for that. jscript alone doesnt work.

Status
    For the sake of the discussion, I've often wondered what would happen if you layered an invisible .gif that 'appeared' on mouseover. Not that I really care about theft of my images, but it might make it more difficult (in IE anyway). Any problems with that (just curious).

Status
    Android, your idea is a stellar one. This mock page uses the image of the hand held device as a CSS background element. I made a 1x1 transparent image and set it the same size as the css image and embedded it in the table cell. Sure enough, right clicking only shows the transparent image.

http://mtjo.f2o.org/image.html
    Last edited by sonofmidi; 11-11-2002 at 06:20 PM.

Super Newbie

Status
    that works, since right clicking and saving would save the invisible image. unfortunately, print-screen defeats it

Status

well, you can't beat 'em all

It serves a basic purpose. A viewer just can't right click and save as well as they can only hotlink to the smaller filesize transparent gif. Any decent image editor has a screen capture, so you are correct in that the protection is limited. It goes back to statements made earlier, dont offer images for public view if you dont want them copied. If anything, add a watermark etc. Besides, any savvy viewer only need go to their temp files and open the image. CSS images are also cached.
    Last edited by sonofmidi; 11-11-2002 at 11:31 PM.

Super Newbie

Status
    hmm... good point. i forgot about hot-linking.

Status
    I didn't think of my solution as a cure-all. We just have to face the fact that if anybody really wants an image, they can get it; however, the harder it is, the less likely they'll keep doing it. I'd be willing to bet that anybody wanting an image worth stealing would try the right click first and give up anyway!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last