34 users online (0 members and 34 guests)  

Related

1. Driving traffic to site by having content on site    Forum: Website Promotion Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Getting trapped in site

Hello all,

I am new here and wish I had found this site a long time ago. Very good questions and answers on this site.

I have one that I would "really" appreciate help with.

When someone clicks on my link from a site like say Google, then they seem to get "trapped" inside it. They can not return to the referring URL. Actually they can but they have to keep hitting the Back Button rapidly until they do. I get comments on this all the time. "Trapping me in your site does NOT make me want to buy from you!"

Does anyone have an idea that might cure this problem? It would be great if all search engines and such just opened each site in a new window, but that won't happen.

I would really appreciate some help.

Don E.

New User

Status
    its because of your pages that automatically redirect you. when you hit back your browser reloads that page, and that page forwards you to the page you just came from.

Just look at this diagrahm (really crappy)

First Page (Auto) >> Second Page

::User clicks to go back::

Second Page (User Click Back) >> First Page (Auto) >> Second Page

(And so on and so on)

New User

Status
    That is probably true, I really don't know because I haven't learned the good stuff on HTML yet. I kind of understand what you are talking about but don't know what to do.

I use Shopfactory Pro v4.53 and it creates the page for me for the most part. They say that v5 has a fix for that but they want me to buy the newer version. I checked the demo and it has more problems than the first.

I noticed on a site that I ran accross where they have insterted something to click on to take care of that problem but again I don't understand it all.

I was, and still am hopng someone out there might have a sollution to this. Maybe something that could be added into the code to give them the same option to get out of it.

Thanks for your reply. If anyone thinks they could do something about this to correct it and would like a copy of the two pages (index.html and front.html) I would be glad to send them to you.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Welcome to the forums

The problem is as Myroom stated, you have a "page loading" page whoch then redirects you to the actual content page. The only way to stop this (and you really should) is to remove the index.html which is the redirect and use the front.html as your index.

sidenote: lose the trick stuff, the scrollbar and junk like that is real bad, especially for an ecommerce site.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status
    Alright! Now we are getting someplace. I was wondering if I deleted the index.html and renamed the front index.html if that might work.

I heard that you have to have an index.html to work right?

I have tried loading straight to the front greatplainsgifts.com/front.html and it does seem to come up ok.

The scrolling bar I really don't like it anyway so it's good as gone.

I hope I am understanding you correctly. I am going to try that now and see how it works.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    let us know how it all works out.

and dont forget to make a backup copy before deleting

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status
    Well Dave, I couldn't get the front to work the way I wanted it or the index.

So what I wound up doing and it works even if it is crappy is I just made a short intro page. Named it index.html then renamed the old index to index2.html and have it open in a new window. That way, the index stays open and they can go back to it to return to the search engine that refered them.

I know this sound silly and isn't the best fix for it I'm sure but it seems that ShopFactory put all the loads for the shopping basket, top bar for the about information and god knows what else in the index. I don't know what all is needed at that time and what I can and can't delete out so I just went with this idea.

Thanks for all your help and the suggestion from the room on this. If anyone that does have to old ShopFactory v4.53 and found a good solution for this please let me know.

Status
    <A HREF="javascript:history.go(-2);">back</A>

Try that to get beyond the previous 'referral' page - but it will probably be too confusing to most users.