57 users online (0 members and 57 guests)  

Related

1. Capital letters in meta tags    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. meta tags    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 9
  3. META tags    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 6
  4. Meta tags    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3

Status

no frames and meta tags

My pet project is a framed site. A google search brings up the pointer to the 'main' frame. (Fortunately, I've included a rudimentary navigation system in the main pages).
    A google search used to bring up the "Your browser doesn't support frames" blurb, but now it's bringing up the content of the main page (which is Ok, I guess).
    I've read that search engines can't index framed sites, but google seems to be doing okay by me.
    Is google getting smarter? Or could it be my cache is being read by google and giving me skewed results.
    Nothing in the frameset document's meta tags seems to be doing anything, and there are no meta tags in the 'main' page.
    Comments?

Administrator

Status
    Nothing strange, it still cannot read/follow frames, but it spidered you main page so it uses that.

The spiders tend to follow links, and take good guesses at index pages, so it probably found it by luck .
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Put the links and content you want spidered in your no frames tag...there is no excuse for letting the world see"your computer does not support frames"
    Ann/nitewing

Status

That was going to be my next question....

Is it OK to put some narrative about the site within the noframes tags instead? Would that be used by Search Engines? Or just links?

Administrator

Status
    You can put whatever you like in there, probably more the better.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?