31 users online (0 members and 31 guests)  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Related

1. A Search ENgine optimization experts Hub    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 2
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Search engine optimization - project

QuietDean and I are going to work on his website in order to optimize it for the search engines. Dean gave his approval to do this publicly so that our members and guests can benefit from the work and discussion by applying the same steps as we work along our way to top rankings through ETHICAL search engine optimization.

Search Engine optimization, can be tricky to understand, sometimes what pushes one site to the front page does little for a competitor. This is due to the huge numbers of variables used in any search engines algorithyms. You will be sure to see mistakes made and things undone, you can also be sure that it will happen to you as you follow along. There are no quick fixes for SEO, but by using common sense, ethical tactics as well as just plain old time on the net, we can all be telling happy stories within just a couple of months

Due to the anticipated nature of this thread, I aill ask to NOT post for help on your site in this thread, use this thread ONLY for discussion related to the search engine optimization of Deans site. You are more than welcome to open your own thread, this will enable a better flow (thus a better understanding) for what is going on with this thread as well as your own.

Dave
    Last edited by HTML; 11-17-2002 at 05:23 PM.

Administrator

Status
    This is great

So. Wheres the best place to start, Dave?
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

What do we know

Search Engine Optimization - Project

Here is the thread that started this project.

Domain http://css.somepeople.net/
    Keyphrase css tutorials for beginners
    Current Ranking Google - #1
    Yahoo - web/google #9 directory -not listed
    MSN - #16
    FAST/Alltheweb - #4

Pretty good rankings on the surface, tells me that you already have a decent idea of search engine optimization, regardless we will fine tune it all as we go.

I think it is a given and everybody would understand that Google is going to be the primary search engine to optimize for. I usuallyhave better rankings on the other engines but they still only account for about 15% of what Google can deliver.

So, if Google is the main engine and you are #1 for your keyphrase all should be great... probably not. I did a some looking at WordTracker and found css tutorials for beginners just does not get searched for. I must say I was amazed at how little traffic anything related to CSS gets.

The secret to using WordTracker effectively is not to choose the most popular keyphrases, but to choose the phrases with lots of searches and not so much competion. For example, if there are millions of sites optimized for widgets the competition may be so tough that you only get the crumbs, by being a little more specific you may find that a phrase gets almost as many searches but not so much competition for instance Blue widgets. I have noticed almost a 1000% increase in my traffic since I have been using WordTracker. Obviously subscribers to the service get much more information, but there is a free trial if you want to check it out first.

Dean, in this case I think the top 3 search phrases seem to be the way to go css, cascading style sheets, style sheets they will be tough to break as the competition is very stiff. The problem is that css as a whole just does not get much traffic, and it seems to be almost an all or none deal. Either you compete with the others or you settle for very low ranking searches. We will use these low ranking searches later on secondary pages. The ideal situation would be picking a top search phrase as your primary phrase on the home page, next is the hard part of picking the home page secondary phrase, this is the most important to research to find the middle ground between too much competition and too little searches. On the secondary pages I like to go with a well researched middle territory phrase for the primary and for the secondary phrase.

Suggestions:
    Keyphrases
    Primary: Cascading Style Sheets
    Secondary: Style Sheets, CSS

Style Sheets will be easy as it is in the primary phrase, but it can also be worked with individually.

Title
    I would change the title to read Cascading Style Sheets CSS Tutorials removing all of the quietdean/somepeople text.

inbound links
    Do your best when gaining inbound links to have some variation of your title used as the anchor text.

...more to follow.
    Last edited by HTML; 11-17-2002 at 06:43 PM.

Administrator

Status

Hey Dean, I will be looking at the source code over the weekend, I think it is important to get as much done by Monday. Just have a feeling that is about the time the next deep crawl will begin, meaning results will be seen a month earlier

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Haven't had chance to look in depth but one trick I used was to put a client's target key phrase just below the the logo/company name on their site (on every page) instead of some smart ass "inspirational" tag line/slogan you see so often on sites.

They were ranked #1 on Google for six months and #1 or first page on a bunch of other engines within a couple of months. This only changed when they asked me to expand on it and add text relevant to each page to that one line.

They dropped on almost all the engines when I did that. Needless to say, thay just asked me to change it back.

I'm not sure but I think it had the effect it did because so many engines search for a theme for the site and having that line on every page in the same place may have established that theme.

While we're talking of keywords/phrases..."css tutorials for beginners"? (from the other thread on this subject)

Wouldn't "css tutorials" be a better choice? It's what I'd search on first and remember, the nature of the net is for people to want things fast. I think searchers would type two words before they'd type four.

I'll take another look in a few days if you like and see what ideas spring to mind.

Administrator

Status
    Cool. Good stuff, here.

Unfortunately, I am away in North Wales visiting my family, so I won't be able to update until wednesday when I get back
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Administrator

Status

Cool, hope you enjoy your vacation

We probably wont make it in time for the crawl, but atleast now we do not have to rush it.

D

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Would the following have any effect:

change the heading to
    "Introduction to Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)"

and change the text
    "Also a good thing to remember is that CSS has actually replaced HTML..."

to
    "Also a good thing to remember is that Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) has actually replaced HTML..."

giving you both of those search terms in the first paragraph which in turn relate back to the heading?

I'm thinking it might increase the weight of the search terms for your site and clarify the theme of the site for the engines that dig down to find a theme like Teoma.

Administrator

Status
    hmm. Thats a very good idea. I doubt very much it would do any harm, I will make your changes

Administrator

Status

I would say that is a good call.

Sorry I have not been around, got shoved off to Dallas for a couple of days, came home and really messed up the puter. Hopefully I can catch up on things and get back to this real soon.

Dave

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Taking it a step further, you could include CSS or Cascading Style SHeets in all your headings

e.g. Some Little Tricks With CSS...
    e.g. Three rules for Cascading Style Sheets

and so forth.

Oh, the footers and forward/back buttons on your pages looks out of whack too.

Footers seem to be aligned right and back button is aligned higher than the forward button.

Administrator

Status
    Yes, my own laziness has prevented me from fixing those I will see to those soon...

Administrator

Status

OK it is time to get back to work on this project.

Best place to start is to find out where in google you rank for the most important key phrases.

(p)cascading style sheets: rank 50
    (s)CSS tutorial: rank 19
    (s)style sheets: rank 78
    (s)CSS: rank 215

(p) denotes primary keyphrase, (s) denotes secondary keyphrase

This gives us sopmething to work with, we will now know when we make progress. Keep in mind that these keyword phrases and the resulting SEO is for the front page only, each individual webpage should be optimized for its own specific topic.

Now lets look at the souyrce code for the page.
    <title>Cascading Style Sheets CSS Tutorials</title>
    Perfect, does not repeat keywords and covers them all while still making sense to the end user.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <meta name="Author" content="Dean Owen - www.quietdean.com - (c)2002">
    <meta name="keywords" value="css, tutorials,cascading,style,sheets,style sheets,dean,owen,quietdean,tutorial,free">
    <meta name="Description" value="CSS Tutorial designed to introduce the novice to using Cascading Style Sheets in an imaginitive way. Also includes Intermediate tutorials.">
    meta tag author: not needed

meta tag keywords: start with the most important keywords(p), remove "free" (a very spammy word), personal names a very rarely searched for, when they are you should come up at the top even without them in your metas, suggest removing. Commas have been argued about for ages some say use them others do not, the most recent train of thought is that you are better without them, that commas restrict the ability of the engine to mix words up ie making new phrases out of the keywords.

suggested meat keyword tag below

<meta name="keywords" value="cascading style sheets css tutorials">
    is that all, no we can also look at anchor(link) text and give the spider a good idea of what is to follow as it spiders. z-index and syntax would be great words to place in the keyword tag also. (note: I do this on the frront page only, all other pages I stick to what the specific page is about).

new keyword tag:
    <meta name="keywords" value="cascading style sheets css tutorials z-index syntax">
    On to meta description
    <meta name="Description" value="CSS Tutorial designed to introduce the novice to using Cascading Style Sheets in an imaginitive way. Also includes Intermediate tutorials.">
    Lets move cascading stylesheets to the front as it is the primary phrase, I would change the word intermediate to beginners and advanced, intermediate is not a often searched for word.

suggested description:
    <meta name="Description" value="Cascading Style Sheets Tutorial designed to introduce the novice to using CSS in an imaginitive way. Tutorials for both the beginner and advanced cascading style sheet user.">
    continued in next post.

Administrator

Status

OK we have our meta description, lets take this snippet and go one step furthur with it.
    <meta name="Description" value="Cascading Style Sheets Tutorial designed to introduce the novice to using CSS in an imaginitive way. Tutorials for both the beginner and advanced cascading style sheet user.">
    Lets take this snippet and go one step furthur with it.

Heading tags are a very important part of SEO, using the same text as the meta description inside of an H1 tag can do a ton for your rankings. Problem is, H1 font is so big and ugly, this is where CSS comes in. In your style sheet you can make your H1 tag look any way you want.
    If you look at the top of every page on AHFB you will see text similar to this
    Join our free forum quick and easy.
    Website design, SEO, Spyware, Domain names
    HTML, CSS, Scripts, Affilate programs, Web hosting
    Just a few keywords all within the H1 tag. I also use the H2 tag for the navigation bar that is above all of the main content.

As mentioned previously, when getting links back, if at all possible have the person linking to you use your page <title> or (p)keyphrase, anchor text is extremely important.

Do this for all your pages, being sure to visit wordtracker so you know you are aiming for the proper keyphrases on each page.

Kick back and wait, in this case probably until the end of march when google updates. I will check then to see how things have improved and will post the results here, of course at that time we will fione tune things again and wait a couple more months.

SEO is a continual process, it is not something you do and forget about. Taking shortcuts could get you to the top really fast, and will put you at the bottom or even kicked out even faster. To get to the stop and STAY at the top requires constant work and the understanding that taking the easy way out with spam is the worse thing you can do.

Dave
    Last edited by HTML; 01-31-2003 at 11:48 AM.

Administrator

Status
    Woah. Thas comprehensive, this is stuff I never thought about.

Thanks Dave, I will implemement the changes tommorow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last