35 users online (2 members and 33 guests)  

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Related

1. A Search ENgine optimization experts Hub    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 2
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Dean, just curious to know when you made these changes. I am wondering if Google was able to pick up on these changes or not.

I am guessing not...or atleast hoping so
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Administrator

Status
    Yes, I amended the description and added some 'bullet points' near the top under the guise of h1 tags.

I have noticed I now get a large amount of hits related to 'z-index', I think its a subject not well covered otherwise.

I have also added a new tutorial, 'dynamic classes', I am going to add a bullet-point for that, too.

I made the changes 2-3 weeks ago
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    2-3 weeks ago may not have got it in, I know my new pages from then did not.

If at all possible you should make your bulleted h1 list page specific, this will make a HUGE difference if it is relevant to what is on the exact page.

Dave

Administrator

Status
    I'm gonna have to come up with some special code, its all dynamic.

Actually...each page has an id in an array, so I should be able to tie some text to it....hmm.... working on it!
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

New User

Status
    The changes may have been picked up by the Google freshbot, and added to the index and then reverted back to the old listing untill the update.

Administrator

Status

Ok, we know for sure the previous changes have made it into the Google database sp lets look at the rankings!

Here are the previous rankings:
    (p)cascading style sheets: rank 50
    (s)CSS tutorial: rank 19
    (s)style sheets: rank 78
    (s)CSS: rank 215

(p) denotes primary keyphrase, (s) denotes secondary keyphrase
    The new rankings:

Cascading Style Sheets: rank 36 (+14)

CSS Tutorial: rank 131 (-112)
    OUCH!!

Style sheets: rank ? (-?)
    OUCH!!

CSS: rank 228 (-13)

Not looking too good on the surface, but lets dig deeper.

We had 1 primary phrase and 3 secondary, our primary phrase did what we wanted it to, it went higher, while the secondary did not do what we wanted it did do what was expected, only I did not expect so much of a drop.

There are still a bunch of things we can do to raise ALL of these figures as well as many other phrases. First and of the most importance is making all tags, this include the title, metas, and h1 tags, page specific. This is important to be found for more search phrases, if all pages have the same tags above, we are limited to the text on the page to differentiate it from the others, this may or may not match to what the tags say are on the page.

I have a feeling PR is a little more important than previously thought. Many people are of the impression that it does not mean much in the overall scheme, and this may very well be true, but in the past I figured about 3-5% of the total algo now I will say 10 -15%.

What bothers me is the people that say PageRank is not worth much so do not worry about it. When they take their car in for a tuneup do you think they tell the guy not to change the air filter because in the whole scheme of it a clean air filter will only save about 5-8% of the fuel? I doubt it, they want their car tuned up and this does not mean picking the 2 or 3 most important items and replacing them.

Regarding PageRank, I think a new filter(or a better one) was put into place which gives backlinks from outside sources more weight than backlinks from within the site. Last month I had 387 backlinks, this month after doing some work to the forums it is up to 2070.

Now keep in mind PR was lowered across the board for every web site by less than a point so some can see a lower value and some still have the same visible PR. What I mean is that a PR 7 could actually be a PR 7.75 or it could be a 7.25, dropping it by half a point will lower the later to a PR 6 while the former remains a PR 7. To see how you really fared with PageRank you will need to visit your directory category and see if you went up or fell.

With that said, my front page remained a PR 7 (I really expected an 8) but I dropped from #2 to #4 in the directory. It is this drop that brings me to the conclusion that backlinks from within the website do not count for much, but they do count so do not ignore this "air filter"!

Dave

Administrator

Status
    eek! mixed bag of treats, there.

Tommorow, I will re-write the engine behind the site, making the meta & h1 tags page specific. And I need to go about getting some good backlinks.

Thanks Dave

Administrator

Status

Hope it is not too late for the next update, googles deepbot just hit. It will usually hang around about 3 days.

Dave

New User

Status
    I think that alot of people get to consumed with PageRank and forget the other impotrant factors of SEO. I have a PR of 4, and I am currently beating several higher PR sites in a fairly competitive (returns Results 4,030,000) keyword phrase.

PR is only one aspect of the Google algo, more impotrant things IMO are:

Title of page
    Domain + URL of actual page
    Anchor text
    Keyword density
    H1, Bold, Italics keywords
    Fresh content (keeps Google coming back for more)
    Linking (all types inter,directories,reciprocal, outbound etc... )
    Meta-keyword tag

I currently beat out a PR7 and 3 PR6's

This of course is IMO

Administrator

Status
    I just rewrote the code, now each page has its own h1 tags listing, which is cool. Glad I did it.

Thinking also of starting an 'article' thing on it. maybe do one a week (fresh content!). Simple things, like some of the code I have come up with in answer to questions on these forums and stuff. Good idea or no?

Administrator

Status

Actually, One of my next hints was to suggest letting me give you your own dynamic "last 10 CSS threads" to include on your pages. placeit on every page and every page will get updated much quicker in G.

Have to ask, h1s are now designed per page...what about titles and metas?

Dave

Administrator

Status
    Eek! easily done, tho. Now that the engine is updated. Will do.

Last 10 sounds great!

Administrator

Status

Ill work one up tonight(tomorrow for you) to fit your colors, today is daughter day so I do not want to get too involved in anything.

Dave

Administrator

Status

Some things to think about (sorry my mind was not working earlier), how are you going to include it? The search engines must be able to see it (no JS) so it will know that your content is constantly changing, this and a high PR can get you spidered daily. Getting spidered daily does not guarantee new pages getting listed that quickly, they may show up and drop out until the deepbot picks them up and the next dance occurs. It will help your listed pages to move up and down throughout the month.

You also want it to be "spiderable", It will share PR with the css section, yes ahfb but with it is templated to brand your site and its links, so more visitors here, more visitors to you though I have no clue how many you get from here now.

I was looking at the design and trying to figure out where to put it. You could put it in the left bar but it is pretty arrow so it would require a fairly small font.

Let me know what you want to do, I could throw it together in just a few minutes.

Dave

Administrator

Status

spelling alert

on your index page

Intermediate Tuorials
    D

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last