28 users online (1 members and 27 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. Comments or Suggestions appreciated    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  2. comments and suggestions please    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  3. Critiques/Comments/Suggestions Please    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 5
  4. Replies: 16
  5. Comments and Suggestions Please    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 8

Status

comments & suggestions.

hello,

i recently revamped and redesigned one of my older websites. let me know what you think...

thenewbeat.net
    robert koons

Status
    The pop-up accompanying the "enter here" page looks like an advertising pop-up. I deleted it immediately without looking at its contents. After cleaning my taskbar, I entered again to discover it was the real page.

1. Either eliminate the "enter here" page, convert it to a meta refresh page to the real page or change the JavaScript code to close itself when the "real" page loads.

2. The "real page" loads as a smaller [b]advertising/banner[/b] type page and shouldn't when the above step is taken care of. (I didn't look inside at the source code.)

3. The images in the right side appear associated with the "more info" links - making the images themselves also clickable would be more user friendly.

4. The same small red text is used for the "more info" links and the "new releases" and "welcome to the new beat" non-links. That will probably confuse first time visitors. Clickable links (URLs) should always stand apart from the rest of the items on the page.

5. The "real page" window appears to be non-resizeable and without the normal user menu items. That appears to be very user unfriendly.

New User

Status
    Really cool looking site!!

When I click on the links at the bottom, IE 5.5 (and probably other IE versions) put a "frame" around the link, which makes it unreadable. You could use some kind of javascript to "de-select" the link when it has been clicked....

Status
    I have everything set to kill popups and all I can see is a very bleak looking page with the sitename on it....not cool...you ought to get rid of the popup and the "entry" page.

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Status
    I think the overall design and layout are good. The plan is good.

I have to agreed with all the problems others listed, and add one more. I found loading on the slow side. I have high speed hard-wired internet access.

Another point, those java auto-scroll windows do not work with my mouse wheel. They are great for people who do not have a wheel mouse, but annoying because scroll windows are supposed to scroll with the wheel.

I also tried clicking on non-links because they were the same color as real links.

Fans will accept the longer download times, but potential fans could be lost because of it.

I think your page has style.

Status
    thank you for all your suggestions and comments.

the 'frame' around the links has always bugged me too. i never thought about the javascript idea.

the red stuff was added very last minute. the original design was all black & white, but a few friends said it could use just a little color. hence the random red, here and there.

i'm not sure what to do about the pop-up thing. i personally don't think they're that bad. although, i do understand the 'auto pop-up' being a pain.

anyway, thanks again!
    robert koons

Ugly Geezer

Status
    I think the execution and presentation are quite good although I'll admit it uses some of my least favorite features for a web site (most mentioned elsewhere in the thread).

I agree with the meta-refresh idea...maybe that enter page could be changed to a Page Loading and then pop up the main site window after a few seconds, perhaps after preloading the content.

Like all similar sites I've seen it is slooow. I use a 1.5Mbps downstream so I hate to imagine what it must be like for a dial up connection.

For some reason it appears to be twice as slow in NS7.

I didn't have a problem with a frame around the links using IE6 or NS7.

Status
    the main problem with the doanload speed is my incredibly terrible server.

i'm working on that though.
    robert koons

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Yes , sorry, I should have said I checked file sizes and they seemed ok.

Super Newbie

Status
    nice site. cant tell the links from the red non-links though

Status
    Sorry, I still can't even get into your site to look. The entry link doesn't work for me.....probably losing about half your visitors with that page.

Nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Status
    haha, i've used the same pop-up script for the past year. i actually got it from this site (pop up tool maker). kind of a strange coincidence.
    robert koons

Status
    Don't know why the "ha ha". I do not allow popups and have several things running at once to defeat them!

I am not alone in this, there are many others who will miss out on your site because of the shortsightness of any webmaster to exclude a portion of the intended audience by using UN-user friendly methods and designs.

Nitewing.
    Ann/nitewing

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Slightly off-topic here so a mod may want to post this elewhere....

I don't think there is anything wrong with pop-up ads per se as long as they are relevant and don't appear as soon as you enter a site.

Lets face it, if everyone uses ad blockers and cookie crushers it won't be long before you have to pay to enter most web sites because they deprive web makers the paltry commission paid from sales which help offset the cost of running a site.

I tried using pop up blockers but they all messed up my surfing in one way or another. Some were just bad programs, others stopped java script and DHTML menus from working or blocked sites like pegboy's.

Despite the fact I don't generally enjoy using similar sites to pb's I do like to have the option to decide for myself if the content is worth putting up with a few features I find irritating.

My other gripe about blockers was the use of system resources, especially if running a few different programs aimed at different kinds of ads.

I decided it was a much simpler solution just to choose not to visit sites again if they used pop ups/unders or other features I personally don't like.

Status
    Mikailus,

I was under the impression we were supposed to be helping Pegboy with the usability of his website. What do you find off topic in my post?

I was pointing out that I was not the only one who uses such software and webmasters whose usability depends on popups are losing many visitors who are not able to access his site.

Yes< I agree with you that blocking ads is bad as I too am a publisher and some of my income is from displaying ads, BUT popups are not allowed on my website and there are a growing number of people who are going that route with their sites....get caught in popup hell a few times and you too will start looking for surfing solutions!

Have a nice day,

Nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last