31 users online (0 members and 31 guests)  

Related

1. I don't know where to start    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. I have a question about Symantec NetDetect    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 3
  3. Where can I start to learn?    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 8
  4. Symantec NetDetect    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 1

Status

Symantec NetDetect / Tune-upApplication Start

I found these two programs set up to run in my task scheduler and I don't know what they are or how they added themselves to my scheduled tasks.

Does anyone know what they are? I tried to run them to see what they would do, but nothing visable happened.

Administrator

Status
    Tuneup app start is a windows task, a normal one. I ma not sure what it does either, try http://microsoft.com/

Symantec netdetect is for your antivirus software. It probably launches your firewall or something.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Thanks Dean.

With all the talk of questionable programs being installed without informed consent, I wanted to be reassured about these programs.

I found out Tuneup App makes sure your programs are being loaded in the most efficient way when you boot.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

More information on netdetect

From http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_n.htm

Symantec NetDetect. NDETECT is part of Nortonís LiveUpdate. It checks whether you have an Internet connection and whether it can communicate with the Symantec website. If it can, it then switches over to LiveUpdate which itself checks for updates to your Norton AntiVirus, PCAnywhere, Internet Security, or Personal Firewall software.

Recommendation :
    If you see NDETECT in your Task List, it is only because you brought up the Task List at the exact moment that NDETECT was checking for an Internet connection. NDETECT only stays in the Task List very briefly. Also, NDETECT will only run if you have configured LiveUpdate to update your PC automatically, as it is run through Scheduled Tasks.

Status
    Deb,

check your machine out with spybot search and distroy...then read the forums at http://www.spywareinfo.com

You won't worry about keeping your machine clean after getting informed on how to take care of any problems that crop up....there is a VERY helpful bunch of people there.
    Not that we are not, it's just that they specialize in these things.
    Ann/nitewing

Disabled

Status

NetDetect

I have recently replaced my PC and have NetDetect in my list of Scheduled Tasks.

However, it has seemingly failed to run and when I click on it I get an error message as follows:

General page initialisation failed. The specific error is:
    0x80070534: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

Although my Norton AV is configured for Automatic Updates, I am not convinced that they are coming through automatically - probably because of the above error! I have a broadband connection which is on most days.
    Last edited by gatehill; 10-27-2003 at 05:30 AM.

Disabled

Status
    I have partly answered my previous question by checking out the solution on the Symantec website.

However, having now manually set up NetDetect as a scheduled task, it (and my Disk Cleanup task) is not running as "no user account password has been entered". I am the only user of my PC so I have not set up any sort of logon password for when I switch on.

Does task scheduling require passwords??

Administrator

Status
    Hard to say without knowing which version of windows you are running.

I know more of the more 'advanced' windoze (eg NT and later) you can set a 'run as user' login in advanced properties.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Disabled

Status
    Thanks, QuietDean, for your comments. I have XP (Home) and I've discovered that you have to set a password in order to be able to set up scheduled tasks!

I've tested that with Disk Cleanup; I have my Norton set to run Live Update at logon, but I'm not sure that will work as it seems to require a live internet connection in order to run - and, although I have BroadBand, it does not automatically connect at StartUp.

Incidentally, whilst I have set up a logon password, I have downloaded Tweak UI and set that so that I do not have to type in the password at logon.

Administrator

Status
    TweakUI is very good, but beware. Its unsupported, as in if it stuffs your pc you will get no support from Microsoft :/

New User

Status

Re: Symantec NetDetect / Tune-upApplication Start

I am starting to get really frustrated with this Symantec NetDetect thingy. Randomly an error message pops up and tells me Symantec has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. Then, even though my internet connection is fine and running, the internet gets disabled and i have to restart my computer. It happens often and so I went into the scheduled tasks and set it to run once a week. Am I screwing up something with my antivirus by doing this? Is there some other way to fix the problem? Any advice is appreciated because I'm ready to strangle my laptop.