51 users online (1 members and 50 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Status

"Why should someone have a website?" (need info)

Hey Everyone,

In the near future, I will be giving a persuasive speech on the benefits of owning a website. While I will mainly be focusing on the business level, some personal reasons for having a webpage are desired as well.

What I’m looking for, is any data that one may know of showing statistics, facts, stats, anything… having to do with the positive effects of owning a website. Since this is persuasive in nature, any other data that may help swing someone would be appreciated as well.

Any links to studies, guides, graphs, or charts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Status
    It's probably more important to own the Domain Name associated with a web site - primarily because the URL to find a valuable web site is more important when looking into the future. And, regardless of how valuable a web site may become, when it changes from one place to another because one doesn't own a domain name, it will become lost to the internet world.

The first domain name one should own, if it's available, is one's own surname. Next would be some generic name one can use for any personal, social and/or business web sites one may want to establish now or in the future.

Other domain names one should own would be those associated specifically with sites one creates and/or maintains that provide personal, financial or ??? rewards.

Building web sites can be whatever one wants them to be.

They are like writing a book - a book that people may or may not read.

They are like painting a representation of one's creative energy - pictures that people may or may not ever see.

They are like showing off one's abilities to the world - abilities that may or may not be appreciated.

They are the ultimate in democratic expression of one's free will - expressions that do not depend upon the actions of others.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I will send out an email to members this weekend and see if we can get some general feedback. Most of our members put great thought into thier opinions and posts, and can probably give you more to work with than I ever could.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    Thank you both, and dave, that email would be great. =)

Status
    I don't have any data to direct you to, but the reason I'm learning all this stuff and working on designing a web site is to help to give kids a better chance at avoiding addiction.

I have never smoked, but I have paid the highest possible price. I lost my mother when I was 14, the day after my sister's 13th birthday and my brother was 10.

I can't change the world, and prevent this tragedy that is lived out by so many families because of an industry that preys on children and especially children with difficult lives.

I can't directly fight back against such a wealthy industry, or get recourse through justice, but I can reach an audience that was unreachable in the past and I can provide resources and tools to help children grow up safe from this industry. And the spinoffs are when you prevent tobacco use, you also reduce initiation into other drugs.

I think there are a number of benefits from having not-for-profit web sites, but an important one to me is that it gives me a voice and an ability to affect positive change in a way that did not exist in the past. The unfortunate thing is that it also opens another method to target children.

Status
    Just curious, where you able to have any luck with that email Dave?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I did send the email, I am sure you got a copy. I am sorry you are not getting the needed help, but it is a tough Q.

Dave

Ugly Geezer

Status
    The info you require regarding commercial sites should be easy to find. Look at business and media/marketing publications and sites for figures relating to on line sales growth etc.

Here's a couple which may help start you off (I can't vouch for their accuracy as I just did a quick search for likely looking sites):

http://live.emarketer.com/
    http://cyberatlas.internet.com/markets/retailing/article/0,,6061_1548651,00.html
    http://www.zestcity.com/store/store-emarketing-reports.htm

I wasn't able to find any stats on this regarding personal sites and I doubt many are available.

The "persuasive nature" of your project translates as "subjective". Any arguments in favor of or against having a personal site are hard to quantify especially as "personal" sites can be anything from info about the owner and their family, their hobby or a means of expressing a particular talent rather than promoting a product or service.

Maybe you would be better off looking for anecdotal evidence here? Find some personal web sites and contact the owners politely requesting their experiences related to owning such a site.

Maybe some members here could share their experience of owning such a site.

Status
    Thank you Dave for sending out that email. For some strange reason, I never did get it, but oh well. Thank you for going out of your way to try to help.

And Mikailus, thanks for the great links and suggestions!

Status
    Dave, I did not get an email either????

Nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Administrator

Status

capo, you have your settings set to not rec email from admins.

nitewing, your email addy looks to be a temporary throw away type, one you may not have checked?

I know it went out, I rec'd a couple of removal notices.

Dave

Status
    I got it.

Status
    Dave, it's only a throwaway when It starts to get too many spam messages

Right now my email checks ALL my email addys...sorry, it just wasn't received.

Ann/nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Ugly Geezer

Status
    I got one...it's what dragged me back here after several months absence

Administrator

Status

You wont be getting spam from me In 4 years I have sent maybe 5 emails....and nobody else has ever seen my address database.

I dont know why you would not have got it, but stranger things have happened

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last