38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Related

1. Any Idea why?    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. New idea    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Is this a good idea?    Forum: Affiliate Marketing and Reseller Programs
    Replies: 4
    Ugly Geezer

Status

Good idea or no?

Work in progress...a site mainly aimed at webmasters offering free pics for non-commercial sites. It's also my first db generated site.

I know the thumbnails generated from the original images make pages a little on the slow side. That and the general design/layout will remain the same for now though due to time constraints.

I do need to know if it's a good idea (will people use it) and this was probably the best place to ask.

Status
    It's a great idea - anything FREE on the internet is generally a pretty good idea.

I'd suggest you create smaller thumbnails and upload them along with each larger image to reduce the page loading problem.

The best suggestion, and this goes for any 'list of items' type site, is to cross index the items in as many redundant categories one can think of. For instance, the flag could be referenced by and appear under the categories:

on a pole
    country of origin
    colors
    waving
    distant vs close-up

The most valuable thing provided to visitors looking for something is to be able to find it under the [b]category[/b] "the visitor" has in mind at the time of the visit. It's up to the webmaster/author to think of as many categories as possible beforehand to place each item in so that no visitor is left behind.
    Last edited by benzden; 11-29-2002 at 09:48 AM.

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Yep I can agree with all of that.

I was thinking for, say, the flag the categories might run something like Flags/Greece/Athens/Parthenon/Photographs (I'll be putting clip art etc on there too so there may be a need to specify type of image) and make the database searchable.

I had put getting images uploaded at the top of the list of priorites for the moment mostly because of the amount of time already spent getting the site to it's present state.

It was originally on a different server using asp/Access. When I switched host the platform changed from Windows to Unix so I thought it would be useful to learn how to use PHP. The advantage of that change is that it doesn't crash when more than three people are using it

Once I see how it's shaping up I'll revisit the indexing and add a sub-category or three to everything and maybe reformat the main page to a portal-style layout.

Thanks!