48 users online (1 members and 47 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. Dropped from Google, after submitting Site-map! Need Help!    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 12
  2. Google Seems to Have Dropped Me    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 7
  3. domain name dropped from search engines    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. What's new at Google.    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 1
    Ugly Geezer

Status

Dropped by Google

Almost every site I administer seems to have been zero rated by Google. They all have a rank of 0 (most were getting first 3 page results for their search terms.)

I can still find them by searching on their domain names in Google but they don't appear in any other search results.

The only possible clue I have is a Whois search logged on each site (same day, same time). I'm named in some form in the registrar info for all the affected domains.

I don't use spam, doorway pages or submit more than once unless major changes have taken place (which hasn't happened on any of the sites).

Any clues anyone?
    Last edited by Mikailus; 12-02-2002 at 02:12 PM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    If you give a couple of the links I will take a look and see if I can help figure out why.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Ugly Geezer

Status
    I'll PM a client link. Another is the link in my profile/signature.

Thanks.

It has been suggested it is the result of Google's recent dance and is temporary. Seems odd it happened to all the sites tho.
    Last edited by Mikailus; 12-02-2002 at 07:51 PM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Did you recently change hosts?

Dave

Status
    It is possible that the bot came by when you were making the change over of your site, Had a momentary outage (downtime), and/or you do not have a 301 server redirect to your new area?

You have a white bar which does not indicate that you are banned...just lost.

Get the redirect in for a few weeks until your new server address "gels" and hope the freshbot picks you back up.

Ann
    P.S.

I don't think the search engines give a flip about who owns what, just how it is presented.
    Last edited by nitewing; 12-02-2002 at 10:55 PM.
    Ann/nitewing

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Yes I moved all the affected sites. Dang I forgot about that!

FPnet was also changed from access db and active server pages to PHP and SQL therefore changing the page extensions.

Thanks y'all for taking the time to look.

It's amazing what others spot when viewing a situation from the outside. That's where the strength of a forum like this lies, I really appreciate your input!

Status
    You're welcome! Glad I could be of a little help along with Dave.

nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Status

Question

If your page extensions changed then wouldn't that change your url's?

Maybe you need to contact those linking to you to request a link change....?

Nitewing
    Ann/nitewing

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Yes it would...from, say, index.asp to index.php...linkage to the site (which is work in progress) is minimal and what there is links to the http://www.free-photographs.net/ and not a specific page (exc. the engines)

Ugly Geezer

Status
    No spam no cloaks no redirects. Still, four sites out of eight have PR of 0 (one page got it's page rank back).

Most of the sites were moved to a new host. One wasn't.

Three of the sites are new (about 3 months old or less in one case) and one was never submitted to any engine.

BUT take the example of one of these sites. For it's two most important key phrases it is ranked second page (14th) and #1.

How important is PR if a penalized page performs so well?

Administrator

Status

The fun thing about search engines is that facts are so hard to come by so it requires lots of reasearch and detective work, I guess that makes it the most frustrating thing about search engines also

I am guessing that pr makes up less than 10% of the total algo, many will probably say that this figure is way too high. Regardless, this still leaves over 90% of the algo directed at the page itself.

I have looked at some of your sites and do not see anything blatently wrong. Lets give it one more dance and revisit the issue.

Dave

Ugly Geezer

Status
    I had one site which I pretty much just provided the text and photo's for (their general manager came up with the layout. I mention this only because it is UGLY )

When the Central FL division of the company was taken over I was told to take the Cent FL pages from that site and make a new site just changing the company name and logo.

I'm wondering if this was picked up on (plagiarism, not original content, whatever) but even so it doesn't explain the others.

I'll give it another dance and look for problems in the meantime. After that it'll be time to contact them.

Administrator

Status

Duplicate content is considered spam, usually one of the domains will be banned.

Dave

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Just to give you all some closure here (I know you're dying to know what happened ) all the sites have their PR back.

I'm guessing here but I think it was just a bug. Moving some of the sites to a new server may have been a factor but even then one of those never lost it's PR so that can't be the whole story.

I got a headache thinking about it so I just stopped trying to work it out. It will have to remain one of life's little mysteries

Administrator

Status

I hope I am not bursting your bubble and your PR is indeed back.

but... PR is doing its own "dance" as of late, some sites have seen PR10 only to see it disappear a few minutes later. Unfortunately the actual google dance is yet to begin, so until the dance gets towards the end I would not put much faith in it. It has been reported this month and in months prior that some pages even get a PR 11 according to the toolbar alt"", yesterday Cnet had an 11 for a brief period.

When will the dance start, Google has a fondness of holidays, usually the obscure holiday. Feb did not get a dance, anybody know any strange holidays within the next week?

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last