41 users online (0 members and 41 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. Why to play with Google?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 0
    New User

Status

New website to play on

Hi im just seeing if anyone would like to check out my website. It has had many facelifts but will probably get more.

Please post a message in my forum, it would make my day...

http://www.maximum-digital.com

thanks guys and happy web serving!!!

chris shaw
    Last edited by HTML; 01-29-2003 at 09:49 AM.

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Welcome to the forums!

You asked for a critique in the other thread you posted so I'll put it here as it's the appropriate forum.

Your pages look like a testing ground for different elements of web page making which, as it's your first site, is unsurprising.

You certainly seem to have got the hang of the stuff you're trying out

I'll make observations/comments as if I just found the site while surfing or if it were my own site. Hopefully something will be of use to you.

Is it a personal home page or a commercial site? What's it about? It's hard to tell. I'd establish a theme for the site and get rid of anything that didn't fit the theme.

I'd make the second page (the one you land on after hitting "enter") the front page. A main page with no text to read will not do well on the search engines.

If it's a commercial site, I'd get rid of the counter. No need to tell your competitors or visitors how well (or badly) the site is performing.

It's a long scroll to the bottom to find....a big space! I'd tighten that up some and move the virus list. The page seems to end naturally at the bottom of the table (just beneath the Google search.

I'd also make a single Sitemap text link and move all the other text links to a new page for the search engines.

At the recommended resolution the text is hard to read (tiny). Displays fine at 800x600 so I don't see the point (never have) of recommending a screen res.

Some of the pages have different backgrounds making it feel like I jumped to a different site.

Constantly having to hit the back button to return to the menu is a no-no...user unfriendly. I'd make the buttons a little smaller and put them on every page.

There is no info on what the web cams are showing.

I couldn't give an opinion on page download time because I have a fast connection but the file sizes on some pages (graphics) suggest you're pushing the envelope some if you want to keep folks with dial up connections interested. Most people won't wait more than 30 secs for a page to open.

Like I said, the pages show you have a good grasp of the stuff you are trying which is impressive in itself for a first site. If you're kicking it up a notch, as you say, you should try to get a handle on organizing it better.

Giving the site a more coherent structure and navigation will encourage visitors to explore it more.

Great start, good luck with it

Almost forgot - used IE6 and NS7.
    Last edited by Mikailus; 12-09-2002 at 05:37 PM.

New User

Status

critique

Thank you for the ideas, thats the best ive gotten in a long time. I don't have to many webdesigner friends to give me good advice.

I was on the yahoo chat and the guys in the webpage design rooms say that ALL websites suck hahahahah (They are very picky over there)

Any how I will give the site a good think over about what to do.

I know IT IS a testing ground for various elements. I was building while learning. I started building it from Frontpage 2000 but have gotten alot more familure with HTML and other usfull editors that do the job better. It seems a Frontpage web usaully looks like a frontpage web, and thats what i DONT want.

i dont want to use complete flash because im trying to make my website search engine friendly.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the "doorway page" ive put some keywords and somewhat "powerfull links" to help attract the engines a little better. I might keep it that way untill the traffic comes in and I will for sure drop the first page.

I think i should get rid of the gif buttons and goback to text so the searcxh engines will find it.

Im also using the Verisigns submit list as of last week and its actually helping me on msn and others already, but not yahoo yet. It submits every 72 hours. Heck i can type my name in msn and come in the top 10! yaaa (Well its a good start anyways)

Thanks again that was very helpfull.

merry xmas and happy web serving......

chris shaw

Last edited by HTML; 01-29-2003 at 09:49 AM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    The spam is not going to help you with the spiders, and it certainly does not provide a picture of an ethical business. I would also not be using the verisign deal every 72 hours.

In short, your entire search engine marketing plan is destined for failure, may have worked in 1997. You are setting yourself up for well deserved bans.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Ugly Geezer

Status
    [QUOTE]If you scroll down to the bottom of the "doorway page" ive put some keywords and somewhat "powerfull links" to help attract the engines a little better. I might keep it that way untill the traffic comes in and I will for sure drop the first page. [/QUOTE]

Didn't notice that first time round. That is actually a good way to get yourself banned from the engines. Frankly, it's spam.

[QUOTE]Im also using the Verisigns submit list as of last week and its actually helping me on msn and others already, but not yahoo yet. It submits every 72 hours. Heck i can type my name in msn and come in the top 10! yaaa (Well its a good start anyways) [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't use Verisign for anything personally. The best way to submit to search engines is to visit each one and do it yourself.

Submit to each engine once only and then wait. Regularly submitting to the engines (more than monthly, or 45 days for Google) apart from being unnecessary in most cases, is spam.

As there appears to be a commercial element to your site you'll need to pay to be considered for inclusion in the Yahoo! directory. I wouldn't bother until you have it organized and get rid of the spammy front page.

Yahoo! use people to check out sites submitted to it's directory and I can guarantee the front page will lose you your money and leave you out of the directory.

You might want to peruse some of the threads in the Webmaster Ethics and SEO forums for tips on doing your SEO without spamming.

Whoever gave you the idea the content of your current front page was a "good thing" is an idiot. That kind of tactic quit working a long time ago. I'm only surprised they didn't recommend you make the text the same color as the background to make it 100% proof spam and 100% certain the engines would blacklist the domain.

New User

Status

spam

Wow, sounds like I got under some peoples collar. I didnt mean to. I've been under the impression that all those keywords would not be spam if they actually related to content in the website.

Eg.naming all the wallpapers or naming the links in your site.

ok i guess the links might have went too far but the keywords arent that bad are they?

well anyways give me some time and i will make the site a little more ethical. and i will read some more on ethics, just don't hate me ok?

i'd be still be very happy to get traffic that just goofed around on the site and didnt buy parts from me....

happy serving.......

chris shaw

Ugly Geezer

Status
    It's not personal, unless you persist in spammy SEO tactics, but if you ask for advice expect some of it to be critical. It's all part of the learning curve.

In context, as part of the content of the site, keywords are fine. A huge list with no apparent purpose is spam.

You said yourself they were there to improve rank on the engines and therefore it stands to reason they do not serve to provide visitors with information.

The fact you said you would remove it once traffic increased suggests you are aware it's spam.

You can achieve good rankings without tricks and quick fixes, it just takes time and hard work.

I'm sure everyone here would be willing to help you with your site making and SEO questions...as soon as you get rid of the spam.

It's easy to do. Delete the front page and rename the second page index or default.

New User

Status

Talking I took your advise

Well I took your advice, I havent finished mind you (finished is not a webmasters word is it?)

But I took out the first page and feel good enough with the new guest map page. At least it still names the content on the site for the visitors AND the search engines. I dont want to spam, but I want a search engine friendly website WITH gifs, etc.....

I don't think my guest map is spam do you?

hey again thank you for the advise. I must sleep now

happy serving everyone......
    Last edited by HTML; 01-29-2003 at 09:50 AM.

Ugly Geezer

Status
    If you mean the site map...no it isn't spam. It's essential for a site using graphic buttons on the nav to have a text link to a page of text links so the engines can find everything on the site.

Something else you could do...front page contains text with page names picked out in yellow...change the highlighted text into links to those pages...engines like links within content.
    Last edited by Mikailus; 12-10-2002 at 11:13 AM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Sorry, I have had to edit all of your links, it appears Google has indeed banned/penalized your site.

Dave

Ugly Geezer

Status
    ~~Psychic~~

Maybe because the sitemap looks like spam (lots of repeated words like wallpaper)?
    Last edited by Mikailus; 01-11-2003 at 01:54 AM.

New User

Status

banned?

Hi there, I have just updated my website, gave it a new structure, took alot of advice. I don't understand why you say I am banned from google. I am doing better today than I have ever been. When I originally posted this thread, I was I agree not on google. But I get spidered but only seem to get one related page?

If you type in maximum digital on google i am there around number 12. Msn is higher somtimes. I am getting up on other as well.

Is there something Im missing here, do you see something I don't know about?

Im not sure if you remember the old looking website or not, its cached on google but they have not indexed the new one since i have put everything in text links and made major changes.

Chris Shaw
    maximum-digital

Ugly Geezer

Status
    You're site is still indexed but you have a PR0 penalty by the looks of it (you have a Google page rank of 0). PR0 penalties on Google are imposed for breaking their rules (spam, cloaked pages and so forth.)

If you want to see for yourself, install the Google toolbar. http://toolbar.google.com/

I think it's because you have a lot of repeating words on your site map which look a lot like spam. For instance, how many times do you see the word "wallpaper" repeated (unnecessarily) on the page.

It might even be for the original spam, sometimes these things take time to filter through.

Your site is much improved from when you originally posted this thread but you have to be careful. I'm getting the impression Google got tougher on spam recently.

I also think that they're penalizing "innocent" pages too by accident as they have in the past.

I have a few sites with with PR0 penalties which I thought happened because I moved them. Only one has regained it's ranking though none have doorway pages, redirects/cloaked pages or spam.

[url]http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_help_desk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1201[/url]
    Last edited by Mikailus; 01-11-2003 at 12:56 PM.

Administrator

Status

Here is what I see, a white pr bar usually the sign of either a heavy penalty or a site which has not yet been indexed yet.

looking at backlinks I see 0, I know of 2 backilnks both from AHFB(pr4 pages), related sites also =0, cache= the spammy page from previous.

I looked and you are coming up #19 for maximum-digital, there is no reason for a site to come up 19 for their own site name. Unless you run an affiliate program and have many affiliates trying to push your products you should be #1 easily. The fact that you come up at all makes me think it is a heavy penalty and not an all out ban.

With Googles rules about linking to "bad neighborhoods" running a forum is a very risky task. More and more forums are not allowing sigs or other links, I will continue to take my chances and will accept my penalties when they come. I want our members to recieve every possible benefit but when I see something that looks like trouble I have to take appropriate action. I know that your actions were more due to not knowing than trying to scam, and it is quite possible that I could be mis-reading the clues.

Next time google does the dance (my guess is Feb1, chinese new year) if you remind me I will take a look and possibly let you restore your links.

Dave
    Last edited by HTML; 01-11-2003 at 02:34 PM.

New User

Status

maximum digital

Yes, it may be very well, Im still suffering from the old versions of the website. I guess I will have to wait a month or two to get up the ranks.

But thanks everyone for the advice. I have made major changes to the site since all the advice came pouring in, and its great that theres some good help out there.

Im going to revamp the site map and just wait for google to dance!

happy serving everyone.........

donedeal
    maximum-digital.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last