70 users online (0 members and 70 guests)  

Thread: Active Links

Related

1. css active link problem    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 9
  2. Javascript active link problem    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 0
  3. Rollover active state    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 4

Status

Active Links

This isn't major or anything but it has me baffled. The answer is probly soo simple to. The Active links on my index page work fine but nowhere else on my site. I have the color and everything assigned to it in the body tag but it still isn't working right. Anyone know what i might be doing wrong. http://www.waltersmind.com/shadow/index.asp
    I know a few of the menu links are broken Im working on getting pages up for those now. Any help is appreciated.

Status
    What specific example can you provide, including colors of a link that's not working?

Status
    Well if i understand you right my Body tag on my main page looks like this
    Code:
    <body onLoad="loadalert()" alink="#00FFFF" text="#0000FF" bgcolor="#000000" link="#FF0000" vlink="#FF00FF">
    Its the same on all my pages except for the onLoad event which is just a pop-up message to visitors. On the main page it works fine the color of the link changes as the cursor passes over it but it doesn't do it on any other pages.
    Last edited by sshadow; 12-11-2002 at 03:51 PM.

Status

Smile I'm not sure but......

try swapping the order of your alink and vlink attributes. Sometimes it matters what order they're read in.
    try this:

<body onLoad="loadalert()" text="#0000FF" bgcolor="#000000" link="#FF0000" alink="#FF00FF" vlink="#00FFFF" >

Status
    Nope it didnt work. But thanx for trying.

Status
    Still not quite sure what it is you're saying. How can you see the active link from the page that that link took you to? The only thing I see consistent is the left menu made up of images with no alteration on active/hover/click/visited whatsoever.
    I did notice on your NEWS page that you have:
    a:hover {color: #40E0D0}
    a:visited {color: #FF00FF}
    a:visited:hover {color: #40E0D0}
    in a style sheet in the header.
    Maybe the browser is confusing the A:VISITED:HOVER with the A:VISITED and A:HOVER styles already set up.

Status
    Damn that may be it. My main page is the only place The active links work and thats the only page I use the news script on. Thanx I'll let u know if thats it deffinitly in a min.

Status
    Great that was it. Now it works on all my pages. I just added this.
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    a {color: #FF0000}
    -->
    </style>
    To an include file that i use on all my pages anyway and it worked. Thanx a million man.

Super Newbie

Status
    there is an order of execution to css and html, otherwise when u specify css AND html the browser wouldnt know which to render. html will always have order of precedence over css, if specified. meaning that if your page has
    and
    body onLoad="loadalert()" alink="#00FFFF" text="#0000FF" bgcolor="#000000" link="#FF0000" vlink="#FF00FF">
    then the html tag would have precedence.
    hope that helps

btw i dont think text='#000000' works. maybe that's why its screwed up? try removing it and see if the links work

Status

Smile Your Welcome.

You have quite a few page links to lead off the website. I would recommend starting an external style sheet so it's easier to make consistent changes in the future.
    Just a suggestion.....

Administrator

Status
    Doorknob is correct in the order of cascade with CSS and HTML, but a lot of browsers will allow earlier CSS to overwrite later HTML if the html is depreciated in the w3 spec for the latest version.

Of course, they all have different ideas about what to allow etc, once again making the designers life harder and completely missing the point of having a standard altogether. *sigh*

Only way to be safe is not to use old HTML tags for styling and use CSS for everything.Thus separating style from content the way it was designed.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Thanx for the info. I'm gonna check out your site QuietDean to learn more about CSS.