39 users online (0 members and 39 guests)  

Related

1. publishing in Ipowerweb    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. More Ipowerweb Problems    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 0
  3. iPowerWeb trouble    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 28
  4. Ipowerweb sold    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 0
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Thumbs down ipowerweb problems

Another day, another warning about another company.

I have always tried to discourage people from using ipowerweb hosting, mainly due to the fact that it was a spinoff from Iboost. About a year ago Iboost left many webmasters holding the bag for advertising they served but were not paid for, or at best were paid pennies on the dollar. At one time I saw they were even trying to open a new ad company but I have not heard anything about it ever getting off the ground.

What gets me is that their ads are everywhere, undoubtedly they are forced to pay upfront, could it be that they are paying with the money that was due to webmasters but not received?

</vent>

<newvent>

The reason for this post has nothing to do with my thoughts on ipowerweb, but it is a warning to anybody that is using them or is considering it.

This afternoon I was taking a look at my stats for onestopdomains.com I checked out one of the referal links which was a page off of ipowerwebs online support system. This is not unusual, many people are referred to AHFB from their web hosts. What makes this one different is the fact I have never been able to access these pages due to different types of blocks. Support tickets can usually contain information you do not want others to know. Well when I checked out ipowerweb I went straight to a support ticket that one of our members had opened. As I read the ticket looking for the link to One Stop Domains, there it was...account info, password too. Never was I asked for a password to view this information, no "you may not view this page" errors.

Could it get worse?

YES

The fact is, I am not viewing what the customer would view, I am now ipowerweb staff!!

need a ticket escalated?
    have an enemy you want to mess with?

...customer info
    ...history
    ...transactions

I am sure you understand why I am not posting too many details, in the wrong hands this could be extremely dangerous.

I will be informing ipowerweb of the issue, though I may not be concerened for their security/privacy, I am concerned for that of our members.

Dave

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I have invited ipowerweb.com to respond to the thread.

I can see where our member asked if she should be concerned using the support system, Being that I saw it through the support system...I would say ...YES!

It is amazing the information people have provided these folks, and it is open for all to see. One side of me wants to go through the entire system and let EVERYBODY know that their info is not safe with ipowerweb,they need to know, I just cannot figure out if it would be the ethical thing to do or not. Of course letting them know is the right thing to do, but wouldnt using the info found through this hole be unethical?

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Administrator

Status

They seem to have fixed the problem at ipowerweb.

I guess they thought people did not deserve an explanation though

Dave

Administrator

Status
    Re-read this due to the timeout issuse with iPowerWeb.

Good god, thats sloppy. I have never written the most casual of scripts for even my online gaming clan without 100% security. Its not hard!
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

What is worse is the fact that I gave ipowerweb the opportunity to address the issue. I see the thread has made it into Google due to the work I did last month, meaning potential clients will see the thread during their research, and quite possibly choose a better web host than ipowerweb. The other group of people searching for ipowerweb are those that may have had a couple minor issues but are looking to validate their poor impression, the lack of concern from ipowerweb will probably do that.

If a web host or 100 happen to see it they will know not to make such a rookie mistake. Think of all the information that was there to be had, them boys are lucky as can be,should be so thankful they send every member a 20 pound turkey on thanksgiving. I wonder who will find the next hole and what they will do, after all there was LOTS of information to be had, and ipowerweb knows how much.

hmmm, all they had to do was stop by and say woops we messed up thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Dave

Administrator

Status
    Yup. I dont think disgusting is too harsh a word in this case.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Kids working out of garages with the mothers shouting at them about going to the store for milk and their dads on their case about mowing the lawn don't always have time to respond to legitimate concerns about their 'business' operations.

[ That's my impression about how a lot of internet businesses are being run - less efficient even than most corner lemonade stands. ]

(This is one of the reasons why I don't pay attention to anyone on the internet promoting themselves who have not been in business for at least 12 months.)

Administrator

Status

Are you comparing kids with zero business training to ipowerweb.

...c'mon give the kids more credit, I have seen many do a much better job.

Status
    You're, of course, talking about those who've been around for more than a year.