37 users online (0 members and 37 guests)  

Thread: No Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. links links and selectbox    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. links    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Replies: 0
    New User

Status

Unhappy No Links

I have built a webpage in Front page 2000.

All the links work in the program under the Preview menu but when the web site and all of its properties are posted to a web site, the index.htm file will load but all the rest indicate that the link does not exist. and therefore from a website of 10 pages people can only acsess the home page and that is it.

Please help ASAP.

Administrator

Status
    Chances are, frontpage built links to files on your computer , eg

<a href="C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\myPage.htm">link</a>

so when you upload its broken.

Try amending the the link location to a file on the webserver, and do you have a link so we can look at the problem? thanks.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Hi again i am using Geocities and it seems alot of the program files needed by Front page will not be accepted by Geocities. at the moment i have removed the site 'sorry'.
    I have tryed to set up a cjb account but nothing works, they will not tell me how to upload the files from my computer.
    If you have any help then please tell me becouse im trying ti set a up a webpage for the first time and it will not work.

P.s when i have the file open in front page and click on the "Hyperlinks" icon it does not show the links i have created olny one or two that have no meaning to me.

When i whent ti have a look at my work of art on the web it said down the bottom of the page that there was an error on the page?

Sorry to bother you all with this but i do need help. Please help asap

Status
    I use Frontpage for my site but I am using the Office XP version so I am not sure if it acts the same way as yours. One thing i have found best to do is to have the layout on your computer the same as you would have it on your site. Meaning having a main directory (doesnt matter what u name it) and having the index file and such in that directory then having any subdirectories you may have on your website laid out the same way inside that main directory on your computer as they would be on your website. When setting up a link in frontpage it asks what page you want that link to go to. If that page already exists on your computer then you will point it out to frontpage but if you dont have it all laid out on your computer like it is on the webserver then the link address will be wrong. If you are not exactly sure what I mean here then the easiest way to fix it till you do figure it all out is to type in the exact URL of the page your linking to such as http://geocities.com/blah/blah.html instead of pointing the file out to frontpage.

Also cjb.net is only a URL redirecting service so that no matter if u change to 100 different webservers over time you can always use the same URL to find your site. All that a cjb.net address does is point to the webpage you tell that address to go to. Like mine http://sshadows.cjb.net I have used several webhosts in the past few years but people who have my cjb.net address will always be able to find my site even if they dont know the exact URL cause when I change hosts I just go to cjb.net and change the address my cjb.net URL points to. But cjb.net does not ever actually host your webpage files.

Status
    Oh and QuietDean the version of Frontpage I use does build the links for your pages but they are only relative so if it goes down a directory its like blah/blah/blah.html or if it goes up it's ../../blah/blah.html luckily it doesn't use the absolute directory and it changes \ to / for you.

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Front Page does have a nasty habit of sometimes linking to the absolute file path on your computer in the way QD described especially when copy/paste is used on a link.

Other times it copies it correctly.

It's one of FP's more annoying bugs though I must admit I have only seen it happen a couple of times with the latest version.

Super Newbie

Status
    cjb.net has loads of popups now, u might want to reconsider changing to another redirector.

ps why not just use notepad? all these editors are crap anyway

Ugly Geezer

Status
    ps why not just use notepad? all these editors are crap anyway
    Methinks that brings up an interesting point, one that will probably be debated forever.

All editors have little funky and frustrating quirks which can mess up formatting, links etc. and add proprietary or unnecessary code but they are also sometimes convenient for certain features they each have.

A WYSIWYG editor is especially useful when learning the basics. It's also useful when making a site for someone else and you have a deadline to meet.

The speed and convenience of an editor like FP or DW when you're back is against the wall sometimes outweighs purist sensibilities. You can always go back and tidy up the code once the site is running.

Whether you use notepad or a suite of different programs for their different features the bottom line is the same: the program doesn't make the web page..the webmaster does.
    Last edited by Mikailus; 12-13-2002 at 04:36 PM.

Super Newbie

Status
    just my opinion that was
    what tool u use depends is your choice

Ugly Geezer

Status
    I just brought it up because it seems to be one of those topics that flares up from time to time and quickly turns into a "heated" (or fun, as I'd call it) debate.

There are those purists ( and I'm not saying you're one DK ) who take the whole issue of what is the best tool for a particular job way too seriously, especially if the job in question can be described as "Creative". Go to any photography or graphics forum, especially, to see what I mean.

In case a beginner web maker who has run up against this kind of advice from a more experienced hand was reading the thread, I just thought I'd point out it doesn't matter a rats bottom what you use as long as it works.

Most people will try a load of different programs anyway and settle on the one or two they feel most comfortable with.

OK...I'll admit that there was an element of bait to my reply too. Call me a sick puppy if you like but I think it's funny watching someone have a 30 second aneurysm at the mere mention of Front Page.
    Last edited by Mikailus; 12-13-2002 at 07:42 PM.

Super Newbie

Status
    the topic doesnt matter, some people just take things too seriously lol

ps i like your last paragraph. the mere mention of front page gives me goosebumps.

New User

Status
    To All that helped me.
    Thanks alot esspecially sshadow. But i still have a small problem with my site. This is the problem. On my search page when u type something to search it opens up with THIS PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND. go to this site and try it for you self http://www.geocities.com/tkw_klan/search.html and try the search for your self.
    P.s don't dis my web site plz. Thanxs

Status
    It would seem the problem may be with the overly complicated search FORM (from Yahoo?). I use one from Google that's much less complicated and includes the really valuable (for my sites) "site search" option - something that tends to confuse users less for pointing out there is a choice between "www/internet" and 'site/local' searches.

Oftentimes, with 'generic' search boxes such as these, the user can't tell whether they're going to be searching the entire internet or just the web site they've landed at after some other search process. (Having the Google, AllTheWeb/Fast, Yahooo, ... logo associated with the search box also helps tell users what they're about to do.)

TIP:
    Some webmasters are beginning to realize that it's far more visitor friendly and efficient to just place a Google (or other) search box on the page in place of numerous links to an associated topic - with that associated topic already filled-in as the text of that search box.
    Meaning that one doesn't have to constantly update for dead, revised or new links - the search engine does that as the internet expands with more online sites.
    An example is shown at the bottom of:

http://CyriacusOfAncona.Cyriac-FHP.com
    Last edited by benzden; 12-14-2002 at 11:29 AM.

Administrator

Status
    'Allo

The form action is looking for

_derived/nortbots.htm

If this doesnt exist then you will get this error. Either change the action to where it should be or put the page in the correct place.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Administrator

Status
    doh we posted simultaneously again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last