68 users online (0 members and 68 guests)  

Related

1. CSS issues in IE    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 3
  2. Printer Issues    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 4
  3. beginner problem with css: some issues    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. IE 6&7 issues    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Forum Issues, Problem with unread posts

Hey, I'm new here and don't have a particularly strong grasp of HTML apart from making basic tables and the such.

I set up a forum for some friends recently, and the server that they are on does not support the marking of individual posts as being read. The exact response was....

"The software currently doesn't support read/unread marking of individual messages. What it does is check when you last visited, and mark all posts made since as unread."

This is most troublesome for myself and the users of my forum, especially if you don't visit the forum in 2 or 3 days. Then you may have 10 or so threads to sift through, and no way of keeping a tab of what you have read and haven't read, because until you sign out, or press "mark all posts read", everything stays as unread.

What I wanted to ask is if there was some kind of script or code using HTML that would tell the forum to mark a post as read once it had been seen. This would make life so much better for everyone using my forum, and we would all be very greatful.

Hope someone can help, even if it's to say this isn't possible. Any other info anyone needs, just let me know.

Thanks

New User

Status

Re: Forum Issues, Problem with unread posts

I don't think this is an HTML related issue. It has to do with the server-side scripting adding a flag to each message that has been read.