40 users online (1 members and 39 guests)  

Related

1. New member    Forum: Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
  2. Hi All Member    Forum: Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
  3. New Member    Forum: Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

new member needs help

Hi I have just rgistered and was wondering whether anyone could give me any advice on how to become a web developer.

I am learning all the basics from home, but in England there is very little courses and help available.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Administrator

Status
    Hi zipster.

Probably your best bet is to start with the tutorials on the left of this page.

'Introduction to HTML' is a very good starting place.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Welcome to the forums.

The first thing you'll need is a good reference book (called a bible) - mine, purchased back in Feb. 1998 is:

Instant HTML (2nd edition)
    Programmer's Reference
    HTML 4.0 Edition
    Wrox Press
    ISBN 1-861001-56-8

The most important aspect of that reference is the alphabetical indices of all the HTML tags and attributes one can use. Look for an updated version with a comprehensive index - it's better to have 80% index and 20% content than the other way around.

Then, with that sitting next to your computer, you can go online to visit the various tutorials.

Begin with any type of web site you think you can handle. Use and revise someone else's code to your own text and images to get started. Always look inside the source code at pages you like to see how they do things.

I'm constantly learning new things and new ways to use old things - the process will never end. Have fun and good luck.

Super Newbie

Status
    learn in this order
    1) HTML
    2) ASP
    3) CSS
    4) XML

or u can start with C++, after that, everything's real easy

Status
    Doorknob, that doesn't make sense..

I would learn HTML then CSS

ASP and XML work together, and why start with ASP? if you don't want to work for anyone, then go with PHP..

PHP is a much easier language to learn and use, and really, the only case you would need ASP for, is if your developing a commercial product, or working for a company..

XML on the other hand, is nothing more than a way to store data, just like HTML but more strict.. it's XML Schema that is a pain in the @$$

Ugly Geezer

Status
    in England there is very little courses and help available
    Maybe not very practical but you could do what I did and move to the US.

Learning the HTML and then CSS are obvious places to start but also learn about good practices like

the three click rule/making pages fast to download etc.

what turns people away from sites so you can avoid mistakes (did someone say pop-up ads?)

ethical practices (e.g. don't try to auto-install software on a visito'rs machine)

Remember that it's a constant learning curve. You'll never know everything but people in forums like this are always willing to help if you get stuck with a specific problem.

(Always search the forum before asking a Q as it is likely you'll find your answer.)

Good luck!

Super Newbie

Status
    i remember seeing the top 10 mistakes of web development on a site somewhere, or was it rules...
    anyway i'm sure mr zipster would be interested in that so that he's aware of the common pitfalls such as designing a page that scrolls horizontally

Ugly Geezer

Status
    That might be a good thread to have here actually...I'll go compile a list...

Status
    Actually, I seen a site that scrolled sideways (not down at all) the other day, but it was disigned like that.. It was the most amazing art site I have ever seen in my life, and the way the page flowed was purely amazing

Status
    So long as they're not both vertical and horizontal, those pages can work - horizontal usually only for images, though. It's a real pain to have to scroll sideways to read text unless it's associated with an image immediately above or below it.

New User

Status

Volunteer

In order to learn, you need a project. But since you're just starting, you don't have a project just sitting there.

My advice is to volunteer to help someone with a project they already have...... whether a corner herb grower just down the road from you that is interested in starting "their own website" or actually offering to do intern work for someone else (like me).

I've learned more from my volunteer work over the past several years that I have from my paid work. And for the first 3 years it was all volunteer work.

Probably lots of you don't agree with this, but there is nothing wrong with working for nothing ... you're learning tons and both sides profit. The business profits because it can't afford to pay someone that already knows all kinds of things, and you profit because you're constantly learning how to do things.

here's a few volunteer sites I've built:
    www.palisadesnw.com

www.conservationfutures.org

www.ahanabusiness.org

I'm always looking for people interested in learning to post, write, change, etc.

the beauty of the internet is that distance doesn't matter ... who cares if there's good instruction where you live ... you have access to the best via forums like these ...

it's a great way to make a living

Super Newbie

Status
    doing charity work is fulfilling and u get to learn at the same time. go build a website for your favourite charity or church or something

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Hi ann welcome to the forums

I agree, there is a certain "kick" from doing charity work. For the last year I have built, maintained and completely sponsored the website for our local Special Olympics High School Division. I have been doing this for my attorney whos son is in charge of the division, as long as I keep my attorney happy I will never have to see him sitting across the room at the "other" bench

Dave

New User

Status
    EXACTLY!

it's not that you don't get a return, it just isn't $$

and the longer you do it, the better the rewards get

I've gotten terrific recognition politically for the work I've done this past year with the open space land campaign ... not that I'm interested in political stuff, but it's cool to get publicly recognized by big-shot people ...

and then there's the free advertising benefits ...