68 users online (0 members and 68 guests)  

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Related

1. The most annoying this about the Internet    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 6
  2. Questionnaire Anyone ???    Forum: Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
  3. Web Standards Web Site    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 2

Status
    By the time any group of people get around to agreeing upon the written definition of any process, the people (or person) having 'created' that process have (has) already moved on to an even more efficient operating plateau - meaning that anyone relying upon the written 'word' is going to be 'behind' the leaders at the cutting edge of technology - sometimes to the detriment of overall operations. (It's the difference between the academic world and the real world.)

Status
    I remember a while back (when XHTML 1.0 was in proposal and I was learning CSS and also in the process of converting a site to XHTML) I had a question and sent the same email to three W3C representatives (can't remember which companies they work for) and got basically the same reply from each which could have been summed up as "not my department, why are you asking me?".
    Happens more and more these days.

EDIT: I just found out that the company I work for is a member of the W3C consortium.
    Last edited by Android; 01-09-2003 at 11:02 AM.

Ugly Geezer

Status
    So...you're one of THEM eh, Android?

Edit: Actually...could you track down someone who is involved and show them the thread? That might be enlightening for us.
    Last edited by Mikailus; 01-09-2003 at 11:21 AM.

Status

I dunno...

There's alot of people around the world who work for this company. I just did some poking around at w3c.org and found out we were on the list of members.

All I pretty well have to deal with is the first 3 or four layers of the ISO model and even then only out of interest and it may help me do my work. I don't deal with anything to do with making standards. I just try to keep up with them!
    That's why I have no problem following standards in anything I do. My main problem is when I'm hampered by someone or something which doesn't comply and makes me have to hack my way to completion.
    Boy, all this from a simple survey.......maybe there's a call for a 'Standards' forum where we can post our W3C, ISO, ITU, IEEE, etc. beefs!

Edit: Amazing, I just went to Google and typed in "internet standards w3c forums" and this thread was Number 1 on the list (behind the sponsored link)!
    Last edited by Android; 01-09-2003 at 12:44 PM.

Administrator

Status
    Google keeps a close eye on Dave. As do Interpol, MI5...
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Wonder how happy the kid at hyperlead is now http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=hyperlead
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    LOL LOL LOL

Super Newbie

Status
    hear hear!!

all web programmers unite and overthrow the tyranny of... of...

uh.. nevermind

Ugly Geezer

Status
    After long and careful consideration of all the points made here I decided to bite the bullet make my own site (70% complete after a LONG time down) compliant. I'll also be making future sites compliant where appropriate BUT:

in doing so I came up against one of the things that really irks me with this compliancy thing and illustrates my point perfectly.

I now have more browsers than I can shake a stick at (exc. NS4 versions) and when I set a cell in a table (or the table itself) to have an image as a background, the HTML does not validate as being compliant despite the fact that even the purist browsers (Moz and Opera) support it!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you see why one might be tempted to bang one's head against the monitor while simultaneously chewing one's keyboard?????
    Last edited by Mikailus; 03-04-2003 at 05:36 PM.

Ugly Geezer

Status
    I just had an epiphany* while helping install my son-in-law's new house-sized television. Maybe someone can tell me if I'm right here.

I can set a cell or table background using css no?

OK, it's bloody obvious I know but sometimes I find things so simple they don't occur to me, at least not straight away

*Son-in-law's description as I explained my problem and new found solution to him. He had zero interest or understanding but if I didn't say it I would have forgotten. I thought epiphany was some kind of christian holiday, like easter.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Sure you can, CSS is really the best way to go. Click the link on the right to get to Deans CSS tutorials.

Dave

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Preaching to the converted.

Dean's css tutorial site has been an invaluable learning tool.

I also stole some of your CSS from here and OneStop to get me started Dave (Just as an example!)

Only question now is will the css validate when I use it to add bg pic to cell?

I guess I'll find out.
    Last edited by Mikailus; 03-05-2003 at 04:05 AM.

Status
    Mikailus, the intent of the W3C is to move all formatting, text and media, to CSS. Their CSS validator is actually less strict than it was in the past. In fact, a webpage can be made w/o that much trouble using no attributes in html tags. Drawback is that only Mozilla/5 and IE5+ have good support for this even though Opera7 was a major step in getting in line with current standards.

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Thanks sonofmidi. I had the gist of their purpose but you crystallized my vague thoughts nicely!

I'm actually quite getting into using css more than I ever have.

I've started to think of making a site compliant and using css as being like using a tripod for photography. It slows me down and allows me to think more clearly about what I'm doing leading to fewer repair jobs after a site is complete so it serves more purpose than I originally thought.

I will still, however, abandon compliancy wherever it interferes with functionality.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2