38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Related

1. How to position a website 2014?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. Replies: 5
  3. Advanced Browser ~ Do you know of it.    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 4
  4. Replies: 1
  5. Advanced Tables    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    Ugly Geezer

Status

Advanced Website Position Reporter

Anyone know anything about Advanced Website Position Reporter? I downloaded this program which demands a license key (not provided of course) to have a look.

What struck me when on the site though was a PR0 penalty seems to have been imposed on them. Not a good sign.
    Last edited by HTML; 09-21-2003 at 10:37 PM.

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Question answered: the api license key comes from using a Google account.

Even though it's a free program I'm still not certain if it breaches Googles ToS. I suspect it does.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Googles TOS is a little contradictory in this area, so at this time it does not directly breach it. This being said, and while it looks like a great program, I am not willing to take the risk myself.

Here is a great but long article on a fellow who wanted to see how far he could push Googles limits http://research.yale.edu/lawmeme/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=807 you can see it is not going to pay off for him.

moral of the story: do not make yourself the guiene pig.
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Interesting case which I think raises some good points. However, I don't think SearchKing are in a positition to claim the role of guardians of the internet bearing in mind some of their own practices.

Google's past conduct (incl. restoring page rank when they have been overzealous or even when an offender cleans up their act) seems to suggest a conservative approach to penalizing sites.

While the potential for abuse is great when you consider Google's position, I don't personally find SearchKing's arguments very persuasive on any level.

I currently have issues with Google regarding 5 sites. My approach is to find out what went wrong, who is responsible and how it can be put right either by myself or Google (or both) accordingly.

When I know that I have everything in place here, I will approach them and point out that, as per their ToS the sites have done nothing wrong (or any inadvertent breach has been addressed) and take it from there.

Unless, that is, SearchKing win a pile of money in which case I'll remortgage the house and launch a lawsuit of my own