36 users online (0 members and 36 guests)  

Thread: Meta keywords

Related

1. Are meta keywords important?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 32
  2. keywords    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
    Ugly Geezer

Status

Meta keywords

While using a meta description tag is still worthwhile, what about keywords tag? Only Ink and Teoma support it.

Is it worth the bother with that level of support?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    yes, it is worth the bother if used correctly. Many webmasters believe palcing more keywords within the tag will help rank for more words, in reality you should use no more that 3 keyword PHRASES, these phrases should be repeated within the body text as well as included within h1 tags (css used to change the style).

I am not so sure that google does not use keywords, I am of the opinion that if used properly it is one of the 100 or so items used in the algo.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    It may be more a function of word 'counting' than placement. The redundancy of the keywords in both the META tag and body of the site increase their ranking - especially when matched to the search phrase entered by the visitor -- the top site being the one with the "most" matches inside it. (This is all speculation - I've not seen any algorithms, either.)

Ugly Geezer

Status
    I've been using key phrases and trying to limit myself to around 12 words total for all the phrases combined.

The only indication that it does any good these days that I know of personally is one report of Teoma picking up on one site's keywords which weren't in the body text.

I guess for commercial sites I'll present the facts to the client and let them decide. For my own sites I'll err on the side of caution as it can't hurt to use them.