78 users online (1 members and 77 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 1
  3. more HTML frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
  4. HTML Frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  5. Help with HTML frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 6
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Are you licensed to use frames?

So you think I am kidding, you do not need a license to use frames. It is true, whats worse is that a license cost a MINimum of $527.

Hate to say it, but San Antonios own SBC is now claiming a patent on frames and is now trying to collect from all that use them.

You can learn more by going to http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/legalissues/story/0,10801,77789,00.html

Dave

Administrator

Status
    Suits. Frames are only useful in an 'admin' ,environment. They cant catch u in there
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status
    Argh. Just read it. Way too 'wooly' to come to any harm.

Sounds like ' An environment where the user can see well and sharp even after the night has fallen' and then sueing all the light-bulb manufacturers in the world.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Is there any truth in the rumor that Al Gore is going to start filing lawsuits against every internet user on the planet?

Super Newbie

Status
    jeez. they just want a quick buck. there are so many obscure laws around, i'm sure we can slap them with something if the frame patent goes thru (i use frames if u must know)

Super Newbie

Status
    The fees range from $527 for an annual royalty for a company with revenue of $100,000 per year to $5 million for a fully prepaid license for a company with revenue of $10 billion per year.

"Just in case you're not fully up on reading patent language, that means that if your Web site uses frames, and there's a navigation frame on one side, with links that load content into the main frame -- you're violating their silly patent, and they can come after you for licensing fees.

my god, this covers more than frames.. any consistent nav menu.

ps uh... who's al gore?

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Al Gore...US politician who claimed to have invented the internet apparently.

What we have here is a simple case of "prove you invented it."

If they can't provide documented evidence then they're screwed, surely?

Super Newbie

Status
    ah. so that's how the way it works..
    smart way to go about things, shift the burden of proving on the other party.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    If you read the article you will see that they are not claiming to have invented frames, they actually purchased the rights to the patent from a third party.

As for providing documented evidence, what more evidence than a PATENT do you want?

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Ugly Geezer

Status
    As for providing documented evidence, what more evidence than a PATENT do you want?
    I wasn't referring to the patent. A patent isn't proof of the right to call an invention your own, it's just proof of it's own existence.

Before the original patent is granted I'd assume some proof for the right to call something your own would be needed or do they just hand out patents like candy to anyone who asks for one?

Did Ameritech invent frames or just the idea of frames?

Is it legal to patent an idea?

An idea is not an invention and I'm sure many people have had the same idea. Most of them did not invent a method for doing it though.

Is it not the means of implementing an idea that is the actual invention and therefore a suitable subject for a patent?

Could I, having had the idea of, say, transmitting documents electronically, expect royalties from every user or provider of e-mail AND fax machines even though the means of implementing my idea are someone else's invention?

Status
    What about sliding menu's. Don't they give the 'illusion' of frames? Who's idea were they? It's all very silly......... Are we supposed to buy the rights to use frames? When I bought my garden hose, who got credit: the inventer of the faucet? the inventer of the rubber? the inventer of the method of joining the two? Where does it all end?
    I'm just ranting...........has anybody patented 'ranting in a forum' yet? Maybe I could be rich, too

Administrator

Status

Before the original patent is granted I'd assume some proof for the right to call something your own would be needed or do they just hand out patents like candy to anyone who asks for one?
    There lies the problem, patents are being handed out to freely. Once the patent is handed out the patent owner has every right to collect damages from those who impose on it. It is up to those who are confronted to turn it up and have the patent recalled, but how many of you can afford to defend yourselves to that level.

Of course the patent is wrong and should never have been issued, but the fact it has been and many people will now fall victims due to our governments downfalls.

Dave

New User

Status

Re: Are you licensed to use frames?

What's being discussed here is just part of a much bigger problem.

American patent law is a disgraceful shambles which flies in the face of common sense and justice. It would simply be farcical if the consequences it is having upon the inequality of global technological progress were not so serious (think biotech and pharmaceuticals).

I doubt this particular silly claim will progress, but it's a sad indication of the parlous state of things that it can even be contemplated.