42 users online (0 members and 42 guests)  

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Related

1. view at the top of page    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Page view    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Replies: 5
  4. Strange view source behavior.    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  5. I can't view my website    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    Administrator

Status
    No worries. Its a 'bug' in IE6. Its well known to anyone in IT Support (me :/ ) but not well publicized because of the potential for virus problems.

Imagine a hidden file called Notepad.vbs on your desktop. it could knock IE over, or worse :/

I feel its silly to worry about that, if someone can drop a payload onto your desktop, u are in trouble either way, so...
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Thanks again,

I hope I am protected from those but one never knows for sure.

Have they gotten a fix for it yet?
    Ann/nitewing

Administrator

Status
    tbh, I only presume they are aware, and that it will be fixed in the next service pack.

I know its commonly thought of as an XP Pro problem, so its prob been fixed there. Check www.microsoft.com , best bet.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Status
    Quitedean,

I have a tip for you. Maybe it will help others.

Go to windows explorer and in windows, right click notepad, click send to desktop as a shortcut and the view source still works....something, maybe the service pack, changed the path in some way....

Using the same method of making a shortcut from the start/programs/accessaries/notepad
    on the lower left popup will not work....I can only guess that IE in some way screws up the path when that method is used.

Hope this will help you to help your clients.
    Ann/nitewing

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Hmmmm, ie6 win98 all of a sudden I cannot view source.

Checked tools/internet options/programs HTML was blank with notepad in the dropdown. Selected notepad and all is well...almost. When a file is too big for notepad it always defaulted to wordpad, now I get nothung if it is too big.

any ideas?

Dave

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    nevermind,

dont know how, dont care, just being happy it works

Administrator

Status
    lol.Healthy attitude when dealing with windoze

Status

Wink

You mean that Notepad is your only option as a source editor? I've also got Word for windows '97 and Netscape Navigator. Never used either. Never even considered a backup.
    Wish I had Wordpad for a backup. I've got it, but how do you add it to the list of editors?

Super Newbie

Status
    u can set up Microsoft Script Debugger. That way any errors would set it off, and the default editor would open up (visual studio is normally best)

Status
    Okay, now I am curious.

How do you enter another editor in IE? Mine won't allow you to type in anything It justs holds notepad, no blank spaces at all???????????????
    Ann/nitewing

Administrator

Status
    Installed programs do it by adding lines to the registry.

Heres miscrosofts own tutorial on how to edit internet explorer thru the registry.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/browser/configuration/clientreg/clientregistrylayout.asp

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES

Status

Talking

Thanks, good info to put in my (what passes for) mind.
    Ann/nitewing

New User

Status

View source on IE6 not working

I had this problem too, and fixed it by deleting my temporary internet files. Apparently IE6 uses this folder to view source, and if it gets too big, it can't do it.

For a better explanation, see http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html

Status

Talking

Now that looks like a site of good info! (Not to mention that I've always wanted to hit Tom Green in the face. Too bad it's with pies.)

New User

Status

Angry grrr... nothing working

OK, I'm in a support environment. I have a client with this same problem. Have read and tried everything above, as well as the helpful information at http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1246/

Deleted cache, removed all cookies. Changed Temp Internet folder many times to something I know for a fact he has access to. Added a registry key for View Source Editor. Changed his HTML Editor (in programs section of IE Options) to Word, didn't help, then back to notepad, no change. Doesn't have any notepad.* on his desktop or anywhere else in his path (even renamed the .chm and .hlp files, just in case). Still no workie. Reverted back to IE5 then reinstalled back to IE6 SP1, no help.

Here's some weird things I ran into that threw up some flags for me:

The shell option for view source (Right click on the page then View Source) didn't work, either did View menu, then choosing Source. However, the button on the toolbar for "Edit" works ok. Unfortunately in his case he is trying to view source for framed pages, and the Edit button in the toolbar only shows the source for the frames page.

When I looked at his "NoViewSource" key entry in HKCU\Policies, it was set to 0 (false). So I set it to 1 and restarted the PC, and it didn't change anything. View Source was still an option that he could click on in his IE shell menu, it just didn't bring anything up. The button for edit still worked on the toolbar. Looked at the registry setting again, was still set to 1.

When I exported cookies on any page he was on (page that uses cookies or not) to any folder other than the default one selected (in this case C:\My Documents\cookies.txt) he can view source on any page.

He's on Win2K Pro, IE6 SP1. Any other ideas out there? I may have tried something else as I've been working on this guy's pc for 2 hours now, my brain's fried.

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last