49 users online (1 members and 48 guests)  

Related

1. new to my space    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 7
  2. Selling web space    Forum: Websites For Sale
    Replies: 0
  3. My Space CSS coding... help!    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 0
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Space shuttle Columbia

Turn on your news, looks like we may have lost another shuttle. Houston lost contact as it was reentering the atmosphere somewhere over Dallas Texas. The shuttle should have landed close to 10 minutes ago.

Columbia crew includes the first isreali astro. hopefully it was not foul play.

Dave

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Theyt have shown video, of smoke trails in the sky of objects falling. Proble is the shuttle is not objects it is a single object, looks like it came down in pieces.

D

Administrator

Status

This is getting stranger, it is obvious now that the shuttle and crew are gone. Reports of a loud impact (obviously debris landing) has been reported in ...PALESTINE Texas.

We know how the terrorists love to send messages with their acts.

Status
    What with the security involved with "everything" that goes onto the shuttle before launch, I doubt if there was anything nefarious involved. It's more likely a highly stressed out vehicle being flown well beyond its useful life by an agency fighting to justify its existence and continued funding.

The investigation will be as full and media monopolizing as the last one - wonder if the terrorists will get equal time?!

Reminds me of January 1986 - 17 years and a week ago - when I took a new portable TV into the front seat of my car to plug into the cigarette lighter to watch the coverage all day long while driving around Albuquerque on business and personal errands.

This Columbia shuttle was in service back then - 17 years ago.

Administrator

Status

I think you are right, 200,000 feet is pretty much out of the way for terrorists, and if they had something big enough I doubt it could have gone without notice. The irony is too much though especially knowing how they love to send a message, we have the gentleman from Isreal, the general point of impact is Palestine, Texas and its vicinity, the anniversary.

This will no doubt be one of those "rember where you were" moments in life. I happend to see Kennedy the day before his death, I was 3 months old though so I dont remember that one. Seventeen years ago I was in a bar at the airport Marriot, yeah it was a little early in the day , sat there and watched the big screen all day(hey, big screens were a big deal 17 years ago)

Dave

Status
    It surely wasn't "shot down" - the cost of getting anything out to 200,000 miles within several miles of where one wants it is undoubtedly in the hundreds of billions of dollars. It could only have been something onboard and that's highly unlikely, too.

It was Saturday, November 23rd (International Dateline) when we were awakened to the news that our President had been shot instead of to the reveille bugle that normally sounded over the PA system in our barracks in the San Miguel Naval Communication Station in the Philippines.

A group of about a half-dozen of us continued on our planned outing to a small island off the shore that was manned by the Coastguard as a lookout post for shipping. It took around 90 minutes by bonka boat (with a Wisconsin air cooled engine in it) to get out there - the boat owner staying with us the entire day.

Sometime in the afternoon, after snorkle diving through the reefs surrounding the small island, we sat around a small fire and talked about the assassination, but not too much. We were all too reflective in our thoughts to say much out loud to each other. President Kennedy was my hero - he was the hero to a whole hell of a lot of others -- he spoke his mind, quickly and without pausing to get notes and seemed to be the most intelligent person any of us had ever witnessed.

Tragedies like this always affect people in different ways - my first thoughts are usually about the waste of life involved and how our governmental bureaucracies are always willing to cut costs to keep their programs going - even to the detriment of the lives of the people who really don't benefit much financially from the programs involved.

I don't think there will be another launch except to rescue the people still in the soon to be abandoned space station - we can't afford the costs of making these programs safe.