52 users online (0 members and 52 guests)  

Related

1. Determine screen resolution in HTML?    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 8
  2. Replies: 5
  3. Screen resolution problem    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Frames and Screen Resolution    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  5. Standardize Screen Resolution    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

Question Screen Resolution

I have designed a web site with quite a few pages (it's a club website with member profiles, etc.). I've heard from at least 3 of our members that they can't see the full page because their monitors only allow resolution up to 640x480. My response to them has been "Get a new Monitor". I can only view the site up to 1024. Since this is my first web site (I've been asked to do a couple more), for future reference, I'd like to know how to design for other resolutions, especially those that I can't test on my monitor (640 and 1280).

As I said, this is my first web site and I'm sure there are plenty of flaws, but if you'd care to take a look, it's

http://www.hamiltonoffroadclub.com

Thanks for any input you may have.

Deb

Status
    Looks okay to me at 800x600 with IE 5.0 - don't know how many people are using the smaller resolutions, but if they constitute a large portion of your audience then you'll just have to play with the images and scrolling text boxes to make sure they don't add up to a width (with scrollbars) larger than 640.

My sites are all designed for 800x600 and most apparently displayed well at smaller and larger resolutions - it doesn't bother me if they don't.

Administrator

Status
    Two small suggestions:

You can change the resolution on your own monitor down to see what the fellows see on theirs.

You 'News' section is all squashed into a little scrollbox. Shouldn't News be the biggest, first thing someone notices? Its quite hard to read.

Otherwise, very nice site and it looks like a fun community.

Welcome to the forums!
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Thanks for responding so quickly.

First, out of our 50+ members, I've only received 3 complaints about resolution. And those 3 members have very old monitors (as I stated, my suggestion to them was "get a new monitor"). But since I first put this site up, some of our sponsors have asked me to design their sites and it got me to thinking about designing for different resolutions. Since this was my first "real" website, it's got lots of bugs and will take quite some time to redesign (with all of the new stuff I've learned, especially CSS). So, for now, we'll make do.

Second, my card will only allow me to view 800x600 and 1024x768, so I have no idea what the site looks like at other resolutions. If I ever find the time to redesign the site, I'll do it using %'s so it will work for most.

Third, I had the "news" section in a scrolling box on the left side of the page (with only 1 or 2 items), but everyone complained that it took too long to load (I suppose because it was a javascript calling for an external file). So, I put the "news" and the "what's new" sections in scroll boxes since no one seemed to visit those pages when they were on their own. I thought it was a good way to get the messages out there. Again, I'll come up with something a little less "squashed" when I re-do the site.

Thanks for your input.

New User

Status
    Hi!

This is my first post and I'm not sure if it's ok to post links, so if not, please edit at your discretion (I'll go look for and read the rules, if there are any).

Here's a neat little tool that may be of use to you damalynyk.

It's a handy little screen sizer.

http://www.brianapps.net/sizer.html

Hope it helps,

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Hey Blue welcome to the forums For those unfamiliar, Blue is a regular over at the http://www.ihelpyouservices.com forum

Things here are pretty similar to what you are used to over there, links are fine if they are relevant to the conversation, spammers leave humiliated and wondering how to fix their damaged reputations ala http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_help_desk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1280 (and the humiliation continues ), sites that may be considered "bad neighborhoods" are ok to post the url as long as they are not linked. Overall you will find that we just don't have to worry about it much

Dave

Super Newbie

Status
    nice site. i think its a lil messy though (the first page)

ps most users are on 800x600 and 1024x768 now arent they? except for the old, blind ones

Status
    Just downloaded the .zip and web site instructions page - will check it out in the next hour or so -- looks like a very handy utility for webmasters. Thanks a lot.

Status

Talking Looks very interesting.....

Any chance of a detailed review of the features? (For example: Does it mean that on a large monitor you can have two or three different windows open during development all set to different resolutions and all you would have to do is refresh each window to see changes?)
    It looks like a terrific tool!

New User

Status
    I'm not affiliated in any way, shape or form with the tool, just wanted to make it known to those without the capabilities to easily change screen resolution.

It was recommended as a great tool by a bunch of webmasters at another forum I frequent.

Wish I could review it for you.

ps most users are on 800x600 and 1024x768 now arent they? except for the old, blind ones
    It's been my experience that there is only a tiny percentage of users with less than an 800x600 resolution.

My current stats for a highly visited site I webmaster for show:

1024x768 = 49.53%
    800x600 = 32.17%
    1280x1024 = 6.11%
    1152x864 = 5.31%
    640x480 = 1.14%
    1600x1200 = 1.11%

With all the rest below 1%.

P.S. - Thanks for the welcome, Dave!