56 users online (0 members and 56 guests)  

Thread: Database

Related

1. How to Decode the data from Database using database handler?    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. database programming without database????    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. database    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Question Database

I want a small database on my site, but I have a problem: I don't know anything about how to make a database.

Can anyone give me some advice or a link? What do I need to know?

Status
    What do you want the database to be used for? There's lots of good scripts that use mySQL/PHP at http://hotscripts.com . Perhaps, try installing one of them to get started. Also, you might want to check out:

http://www.php.net/

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/programming/php/tutorials/tutorial4.html

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Databases/MySQL/Tutorials/

http://www.thephpguy.com/modules/news/index.php?storytopic=3

Super Newbie

Status
    watcha gonna use? you're spoilt for choice. SQL, oracle, access, mysql etc. once you've got the hang of one, the rest are a piece of cake cos the query syntax changes very little.
    to make a database, for example sql, just get hold of sql 2000/7.0, they come with software to do all the work for u (in SQL's case it's enterprise manager i think). point and click once to create a table, type in a few table names, maybe add in a primary or composite key, save it and you're done.

connecting to the database, that's another problem

New User

Status
    find out what your hosting service offers first. If you're starting from scratch you may as well make it easy on yourself and use something they already have running on the server.

I've used both MS asp/SQL combo and now php/MySQL ... I remember Access and Oracle but wouldn't go near them these days.

If you're going to learn, and you have the choice, pick PHP
    It doesn't require $$ for a license, and there are lots of hosting services poping up for cheap hosting options.

If you have that option, creating the db is as easy as getting your hosting service to give you username/pass to their phpMyAdmin if they run that. Then it's a web interface to create everything ... creating the orig db, tables, copy tables, export to .csv etc. etc.

Then make sure when you're asking questions that you specify which one you're using. Yes, the syntax is very close, but it is soooooo frustrating to be writing in ASP and including the $ by accident because you've been doing php for awhile and it looks correct. Then you spent 45 minutes looking for your mistake because the code doesn't work.

This doesn't mean much to you today, but it will

Status
    Originally posted by Doorknob
    watcha gonna use? you're spoilt for choice. SQL, oracle, access, mysql etc.
    Access isn't a "Database"

It's a spreadsheet on steroids, but still nothing close to being a Database, especially something he would be able to use on the internet

Super Newbie

Status
    yeah, but its free

i know wat it feels like to constantly switch languages, it gives a headache. asp n php especially. i think asp/sql's the easiest to learn though. (unless you're anti-microsoft)

New User

Status
    !!!
    Since when is Access free???

and I strongly disagree that asp/sql is easier to learn

it's really no different that php/MySQL so you can't say one or the other is 'easier'

Super Newbie

Status
    have u ever had a database with 80 tables and some tables having in excess of a hundred fields?
    mysql would crawl under a rock and die. hehe

New User

Status
    OK, I get it .... you're joking, right?

yes, I have had applications like this and the REASON we switched to php/MySQL was because of the major problems with SQL .... like not accepting text after a certain character, etc. etc. etc.

you had me going though ... don't mess with my baby

New User

Status
    Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll be using ASP because my current server supports that.

What do you want the database to be used for?
    I want visitors to be able to sort a download list on my website alphabetically, after rating etc.

Status
    Originally posted by Doorknob
    have u ever had a database with 80 tables and some tables having in excess of a hundred fields?
    mysql would crawl under a rock and die. hehe

Where is this information from? Do you see any huge 'worms' taking out all MySQL sites? I think not..

MySQL would be perfectly fine in those conditions... Access, in other hand, would depend on the system it's running on..

PHP is MUCH easier to learn than ASP.. especially if your going into ASP.NET.. which is a totaly different beast than pervious ASP versions..

SQL, wheather it's MS SQL, or MySQL, still has the standard ANSI specifications, to there is very little to learn... Get a good understanding of SQL, and you can use any SQL related database, with only an hour or so of reading about it's special features...

And to compare MS SQL to MySQL... MS SQL is falling behind.. MySQL 4 esp, is catching up to all kinds of things that MS SQL has done...

Also, I would have to say PHP development is far surperior to ASP.. So many people are doing unique things with the PHP language, compared to ASP... Ahh the benifit of open source technology

To give you an example of what im talking about, http://www.sklar.com/page/article/myphp

MyPHP.. allowing MySQL + PHP to be one.. simply amazing, soo usefull.

Thanks to my wonderful girlfriend, I have just lost the rest of my though ;P

Status
    No one has anything to say? Awwww

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    No comment on the GF

Let me state that in no way am I a programmer, so I am speaking as a person who can only pick up a script and modify for my needs. PHP seems to be where things are headed, and from where I my jobs are much easier and even less expensive for it. As far as the system stress I have seen forums like this get 10,000 new posts a day and probably in the 100s of thousands of page views, not to mention tons of hacks adding more and more quieries and the site never even blinks.

Saving money? every page view of this site calls this forum software, though right now it is not too hacked because I just upgraded* but I also run the advertising, webmaster tools ... all on a shared hosting account for less than $10. As far as I can see the server handles it just fine, and I know there are about 30 others on the server that are running MySQL databases.

I know ASP can be run on a *nix if set up properly, but there are limitations, meaning you will end up needing windows hosting. This creates problems not only because it is generally more expensive, but it creates a serious security issue as well. Though I do not necessarily follow the Windows bites bandwagon, due to the scale Windows has created a loyal bunch of graduated hackers.

Just my half a thought

Dave

* Version 3.0 of vbulletin scheduled for release(probably public beta) in about 6 weeks, it has been about a year in the making and it will be worth the wait. I have seen it and played on it, I cannot wait to see the backend

Status
    Dave, did you apply to be a beta-tester?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    No, too much to risk installing the private-beta.

D