55 users online (1 members and 54 guests)  

Related

1. Linking images in iframes    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Automatic linking    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. Linking within a page    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 8
  4. Linking Images    Forum: Graphics Forum
    Replies: 4
  5. Linking...    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    technel

Linking to Geocities Images (NOT REMOTE LINKING)

Hello,

I need to link to a specific geocities image so I typed (just an example):

Code:
    <a href="http://www.geocities.com/whatever/dapic.gif">See Dapic!</a>
    But when you click on it, it says the file is not found! Is there a way to get around this? I'm not remote linking to a Geocities image, I just have a link to the image that isn't hosted on my server

So, is there a way to make a link to an image hosted on Geocities without getting
    This page is not available.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I am a bit confused by what appears to be contradictory statements
    I'm not remote linking to a Geocities image
    I just have a link to the image that isn't hosted on my server
    If the image is on a server other than the server which contains the document, you are indeed hotlinking.

In other words, with geocities as well as many other free hosts if you want to link to an image http://www.geocities.com/~aaa/blah.gif the document calling the image must be on http://www.geocities.com/~aaa

Super Newbie

Status
    some hosts like angelfire doesn't allow hotlinking, they will instead display a "hosted by angelfire" image when someone remotelinks to their image. looks like you're outta luck.

linking to images on other servers is bad, because u ensure that people dont actually go to their website and dont get any revenue, yet add to their load and use their bandwidth. not good

Status
    I'm not sure if it would work, but if you have your html files in a directory such as http://www.geocities.com/yourname/ then have your image like this http://www.geocities.com/yourname/images/image.gif .

Then what you can maybe do is have a link like <a href="/images/image.gif">See image.gif</a>

if that doesn't work, try doing the same with the image being in the same directory as the html file.

<a href="image.gif">See image.gif</a> .

Status
    Sry void my last post...These free hosting companies don't allow remote hosting, and what you are doing technically is remote hosting because your image is hosted on another web server.

But there are a few that do allow remote hosting. I think netfirms.com is one of them.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

remote linking

If you want to hotlink and not have to worry if the links will go broken next week because the host put an end to it ala angelfire, geocites etc. etc. you will need to pay for it, the days of free internet and websites is over. I would expect even the bigs boys will be closing shop or restructuring their deals even more.

Facts are somebody has to pay for it, banners quit working years ago, pop-ups are dying at a rate that ossama only dreams of. Many sites which do not offer "freebies" are struggling, so obviously giving away your service is just not a good business model.

Many folks do not realize a basic hosting package and an inexpensive domain and you never have to worry about it. A year down the road you could go thru any remaining(if any exist now) remote host for images meanwhile you leave one and all your images are now red "x"s some you may be able to fix, forum posts and such you will never fix. Spend $5 bucks (through my link) for hosting, less than $10 bucks for the domain and those links will never go broken unless you delete the images from the host. Even people that need remote linking only for emails or forum posts can now build a little personal page or 50 on the space and show off their images there aswell.

</pitch>

Dave

Super Newbie

Status
    where's your host located?

i'm from malaysia, south east asia, i'd prefer a host in my country, or i'd take up that offer

(over here only the high and mighty have anything faster than a 56.6kbs dial-up)

Administrator

Status

Company Info
    100 Megs Web Hosting is a Canadian company with headquarters in Alberta, Canada. All of our servers are hosted in a premium data center in Denver. Currently there is a full 2000 mbps (2GiG-E connections) supplying our Data Center. In OC fiber line terms thatís close to 3 OC-12 lines and 1 OC-3 line.

The data center has connections to many different Internet backbones including Qwest, AT&T, Level3, Genuity, Time Warner and Yipes. By connecting to multiple tier 1 backbones, the data can be distributed through many sources. This architectural design also means that the network connections are not dependent upon an single Internet backbone. Thus when problems occur, traffic rerouting is automatic, thereby ensuring the integrity of the network and continued access for our high-speed servers.

Of course, a good internet connection is only effective if the servers are running smoothly. We therefore build our servers with only the highest quality parts. The specifications on our current servers are:
    P4 2.4 GHz
    512 Megs of RAM
    2 x 80 gig drives

Our servers are never overloaded, and we monitor them constantly to ensure optimal performance. Our servers are Linux based.

Administrator

Status

But there are a few that do allow remote hosting. I think netfirms.com is one of them.
    Saj knows already but for others, we have now established that netfirms does not allow remote linking

Dave