40 users online (1 members and 39 guests)  

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Related

1. Not working in IE    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. PHP form- not working    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 12
  3. Replies: 3
  4. Why isn't this working?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
  5. Background not working    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2

Status
    Any moron can insert a CD and follow the instructions.
    Hey, not this moron - I'm lucky if one out of four of the CDs I use actually work according to their intended design. Mostly, I just ignore all the error messages and end up with the damn thing installed and working correctly.

Super Newbie

Status
    i just format my hard disk, stick the cd in then follow the instructions. just set your BIOS up to detect your CDROM.

to your earlier post, just disable then remove the hardware. if it's a soundcard built into your mobo then disabling it means that u shouldnt be receiving prompts for your win98 CD. removing it means that windows autodetects it at every bootup. alternatively u can set your mobo autodetect off, it's in your BIOS settings.

aren't u guys gonna migrate to win2k? it's the best by far. most stable, good driver support etc and it's easier to find someone to help if u have problems with it. i assume that sooner or later manufacturers are going to stop supporting win98 (if bill gates has anything to say about it)

Status

Thanks for the input everybody......

It's all moot now. Problems went away with an upgrade to Win ME. Didn't want to do that. Now I'm doing the updates and upgrades. My 'customer' wanted a machine (that was identical software wise) to use as a backup, and I was just going to use it as a tinkering machine for web design anyway.
    This whole thing is a hobby. That's why I'd rather stick to 98. It's a decent enough OS for our purposes, and with two machines running it, it would be easy enough to maintain their networking without running into issues (if any) introduced by running two different OS's.
    LOL there are people who specialize in '57 Chevy's and RCA Victorola's and Wheat Sheaf pennies. I guess I just wanted a decent operating system to study and get to know inside out. An upgrade just goes against my thinking, that's all. I like answers to questions and I still haven't figured out why, when I had all the original discs and documentation, I couldn't get the thing to work right.
    Thanks anyway everybody for the help! I sure learned alot about '98.

Here's a good question to ponder: If I went and uninstalled Win ME, would the problems I had (modem and sound) re-occur? Or is Windows smart enough to leave the right software/logic settings on an un-install so that I would get a properly running Win98 machine?
    Hmmmmmm..........
    Last edited by Android; 02-24-2003 at 10:59 AM.

Status
    I thought Windows ME was terrible - very user unfriendly and backwards """"incompatible"""" with earlier versions -- proving that Microsoft doesn't give a damn about their customer base --- knowing they'll find plenty of buyers for whatever they put out on the market.

Most important in my daily computer operations is the ability to run DOS based programs, including those written by me for myself that didn't work properly with ME and may not with anything but Windows 98.

Hey, I'm unaware of anyone supporting what I'm doing, now, so who cares if everyone else forgets about Windows 98 - so long as I have the install CD, it should be okay - even without having to be able to 'upgrade' in the future.

Can always buy another computer to handle those operations this one can't manage efficiently - so far, haven't discovered any -- me not being big on sound, graphics or 'video' operations, so far.

Status

OK, now I'm onto the new computer...

It's a 1.7 Gb Windows 98 machine (now we're smokin'). I got the vendor to load 98 onto it and 'make it go' as I didn't want the same hassle. I fugured if he could make it 100% I'd buy it.
    I'm working on the critical updates and upgrades and I have a question:
    I had Windows 98 Second Edition on the old computer before. I'm pretty sure I upgraded it from '98 online when it was a few months old. Now I can't find the place to download and install 98 SE. I did find something called 'Customer Service Pack'. Is the Windows Update Center the only way to upgrade and update now? I've got all the drivers and patches and upgrades and updates I need from there now. Is that all? Does that mean that I'm currently at the Windows 98 SE level I was at before this mess happened? Or is there really a Windows 98 SE package to upgrade from '98 and I just can't find it.
    I'd just like some confirmation that I'm done!

Status
    The only comment I'd add would be that it's more than likely that whatever decent upgrading package or service you're going to find will be outside of Microsoft - probably someone out there who was also fed up with their lack of support and decided to create (and share with us) an updating package for people wanting to stay with Windows 98.

Status
    I suppose the questions I meant would be:
    "Is Windows 98 Second Edition no longer available as an upgrade to the original Windows 98?"
    and
    "Does this mean that as long as I keep 98 updated (patched) and upgraded, I have the equivalent of 98 SE?" (I can't seem to find anything anywhere that says this.)

I try to be objective about the whole thing. Our old machine on 98 SE ran flawlessly for about 3 years and we actually like it lean and mean on the new machine!

Got everything going smooth now (touch silicon). Gonna let things stabilize for a bit then consider my home network.
    Lotsa reading up to do now.
    Thanks everyone for the input.

Super Newbie

Status
    "I still haven't figured out why, when I had all the original discs and documentation, I couldn't get the thing to work right."

Its Made by Microsoft. duh

anyway, i have the win98 SE installer CD, so if u really really want it and can't get it anywhere, i could burn a copy for u and send it by mail or something (please make this the last resort as i'm a really lazy person)

i quote a MS MVP
    [You only need to purchase Win98Se if you plan to upgrade to it. The
    question is: Should you? The benefits (and pitfalls) of Win98 SE:

- IE5 vs IE4 (but you can download that for free)
    - ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
    - Improved USB support
    - IEEE1394 (firewire) support
    - Some internal engine updates - but you will still need to use
    WindowsUpdate
    - A known shutdown issue - though that is usually easily resolved.

The service pack will contain all critical updates to the Win98 system,
    but provide for none of the added functionalities listed above.]

i dunno if u will find the links below useful.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/
    how-to's for fun, working etc

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4846c891-d45d-4122-8230-69f3e5ecdede&DisplayLang=en
    directx 8.1 for win98

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6ccfee89-3d4f-42ee-9239-0893b2c40a62&DisplayLang=en
    media player for win98

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=be625dbb-5afe-426a-bc0a-71aac2000ae8&DisplayLang=en
    win98 SE dial-up networking upgrade

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=72918a2a-dc2c-444c-a20e-f347e13f5b02&DisplayLang=en
    win98 security patch

Status

Been there, done those....

I guess I can assume that since the Win 98 Update page tells me no more updates or upgrades are available for my OS I have the equivalent of a Win 98SE. I've got DirectX8.1, IE 6, Outlook 6, all the patches and enhancements available from there. Runs great so far, the fastest 98 machine I've ever seen
    Getting an occasional 'illegal operation' but I'm getting my 'customer' to record the values. (Gotta show her how to print screen and paste into adobe - drat Microsoft that you can't highlight/copy/paste dialogue boxes . ).
    Also getting an occasional "raster driver not found" message (she's using the reboot solution), but that's an issue with printing being worked on.

Wonder if there's a Windows 98 support group.
    "Hi, I'm Android, and I've been using Win98 since 1998 and for a month in 2003 I allowed it to consume my waking hours............."

Status
    For those of us with the audacity to challenge Microsoft's desire to control our computers and our computing lives, there surely must be a Windows 98 support group or news group or tech group aborning.

I'd love to have the Windows 95 Explorer (directory manager) with my Windows 98 OS to make a perfect operating world.

Status
    There is a Microsoft Community Newsgroup http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx . Might be worth joining. Let MS know that people actually like 98!

I'd love to have the Windows 95 Explorer (directory manager) with my Windows 98 OS to make a perfect operating world.
    LOL I still call my system of file management "File Manager" (from Win 3.1). I'm always telling people to open File Manager, and they look blank until I say Explorer and they happily open the browser!

I've been reading up and found something interesting: ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is not supported by Win 98. I've seen a few references that you must have Win98SE in order to set up connection sharing. It's not really a critical thing for me. There are no more Microsoft provided updates and patches for me to consider. I'll have to check tonight to see if the machine now supports ICS, or if I have to indeed get the upgrade kit (as it's no longer downloadable). I did find it for sale (can't remember where online it was) but at $99.00 US I can deal with not having connection sharing.
    There must be a decent alternative. Maybe just use the modem.

Super Newbie

Status
    forgot to mention that MS doesn't support win98 no more. u won't find the 98SE update on their website. may Bill Gates break a toe for forcing all MS users to upgrade and part with our hard-earned cash

Super Newbie

Status
    if i have win98 problems i will come here

Status

Unhappy Found something significant.....

There are three CD's available for Windows 98SE:
    1. Windows98 Update ($15)
    2. Windows98 Upgrade to 98SE ($80)
    3. Windows98SE Full Version ($200)
    I also read that Microsoft apparently has never offered a downloadable operating system.

Hmmm......... I absolutely know that I had SE on my old machine. I wonder if the company I bought it from ripped me off. Gave me 98SE installed and supplied me with the first Windows 98 CD. Think I have a case?

Guess I have to look for the update CD.

New User

Status
    I have just purchased a Firewire board (Adaptec) that requires Win 98SE. I use Win 98 on my main PC and prefer it to the newer OSs (I don't want to do a major upgrade).

I have searched all over (including the MS site) and can not find a simple Win 98SE UPDATE disk. I do not want to install the entire OS (I just want to use this firewire board).

This forum and string looks like the most helpful and informative information that I have found anywhere (although I did not find a direct solution to my problem).

So first, can I get the Win 98SE update disk (or a download preferable) anywhere anymore?

If not, is there another way to use this Firewire board (that says it needs 98SE) with my current OS?

Also: Thank you for the helpful information in this string.

Rob.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last