34 users online (1 members and 33 guests)  

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Related

1. Not working in IE    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. PHP form- not working    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 12
  3. Replies: 3
  4. Why isn't this working?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
  5. Background not working    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2

Status
    What's the date on that Firewire board? It may be something that came out 'before' ME, XP or even 2000 and is just indicating that the minimum it needs is Windows 98SE.

I upgraded to Windows 98 from highly satisfactory W95 operations primarily to get the USB capabilities - the firewire is probably the same. It may work with what you've got, so long as what you've got is at least Windows 98SE, plus.

Status
    Didn't want to add this to the previous post.

Just for the edification of all us Windows 98 (SE or otherwise) afficianados out here, just how can one tell what operating system (or version of Windows 98) one has inside their computer? (I assume SE is installed due to various upgrades via the Windows Update site http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp but am not sure and can't remember how to discover that when I want to know for sure.

Oh yes, remember to turn Active-X on before visiting the Windows Update site - it being needed to peek inside your computer to discover what's there before displaying what presumably isn't there and needing udating.)

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Hi homecat, welcome to the forums.

I too have looked around, about the best I can come up with for you is the 800# for the order desk (800) 360-7561 If anybody can help you I would think(hope) they could
    Dave

New User

Status
    Thank you very much benzden and Dave.

The firewire board is brand new (Adaptec FireConnect 4300) and the box says for Win 98SE, Win 2000 and Win ME.

I believe that I am only running Win 98. At least I have never officially upgraded to SE (that I am aware of anyway). I have seen some notes that I think imply that the (service pack) updates to Win 98 might make my 98 OS equivelent to 98SE.

I have recently updated my system with almost all of the service pack updates from the MS update site (referenced above).

Does this mean that I am running a "virtual" Win 98SE OS? :-)

The Adaptec board installation instructions say that the OS is supposed to find "an embedded driver". My system does not find anything and starts asking for a driver (which I don't have).

Thank you very much for the 800# Dave. I did not have that and it is very difficult to even find a starting point with MicroSoft... This will give me a good start. (I guess I have to wait until Monday though according to the voice message)

Also thanks for your hospitality. As you know I'm a totally new kid on the block (board) and I am really glad to have found this site and checked in!

Status
    Use the "fantastic" find (including the find in that I discovered accidentally about a year after having it - I was going into DOS to use the FGREP "text" find program) facility that comes with Win98 to look 'inside' the Win98 CD or even the C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\. folder to see if the missing driver file(s) is there under any extension name. (Use the find-in with the .cab files when the former method doesn't find anything.)

Then, either remember that location or copy those file(s) to a place you can remember during the next install so you can point the "dumbest installation process in the world" to the file it can't find.

(There's nothing like having to tell computers how to do their job. And, people have made billions off these programs! )

New User

Status
    Here's a follow-up update for anyone that might be following this thread and having a similar problem.

The 800 number, that Dave provide (above), did get me through to a person a MS that was able to point me in the right direction (after some persistent questioning).

First, I was told that since I purchased my system through Dell, I had to go to them for follow-up support. I mentioned that I was not sure if they would be able to help and I asked if there was anywhere else that I might ge the Win98SE update disk and he pointed me to PriceGrabbers.com.

I have found the update disk for sale at PriceGrabbers. The only problem is that it is $30.00 (more than I wanted to spend (the firewire board was only $45)).

I am going to check with my local pirate first, to see if he has a copy, then, if I can't get it there, I suppose I will spend the additional $30.00 for the update disk.

The reason I am doing this is because I really want to use this board and software for camcorder still pictures (I've done this before, but my first board burned out) AND I do not want to mess with major OS updates on this machine. I have used the newer Win systems and really like the 98 version better.

As for finding the driver on my system, I did search quite a bit and could not find a driver. In the mean time, I got a response from Adaptec that said that you had to use the driver that comes in the win98SE OS.

And finally, for anyone in a similar situation with a Dell PC. I checked with them also and they do not sell or support anything so obsolete as Win98! I got a very opinionated support person that thinks that the newer operating systems are MUCH better and just said to go pound sand, we do not and will not support that.

I was a little upset after that conversation (as you might be able to sense by my last paragraph) so I sent Dell a complaint about this (for what it's worth (probably nothing)) and compared this to buying a new car and not being able to buy replacement parts (after 5 years) without upgrading to a new engine!

I know this is really a MS thing more than a Dell thing, but they each point me to each other. "The manufacturer does not support this any longer..." vs. "The distributor must support the OS that you bought from them..."

Sorry for rambling a little on this one, but maybe the info above will be helpful for others in a similar situation.

thanks again for the help (here).

Status
    ... and the beat goes on ...

(Microsofts ability to bury old mistakes/bugs with new ones and make billions of dollars at it just proves that we Americans have more money than active brain cells.)

Administrator

Status
    And us brits
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Yeah, us english speaking people need to stick (or is it hang) together.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    que?

Status

Wow, go away for a bit and the thread lives on.

Bon soire mon amis,
    I'm in Montreal (since Saturday) for a couple of weeks for work and I was hoping this thread wouldn't die. I wasn't aware that there were still plenty of people out there who would rather fight than switch from Win98! How many of you have a rotary dial phone? (I do, and love it's classic RINNNNNNNNGGGG)
    I'm (for one) am still trying to figure things out. I can't seem to find anything that difinitively says "If you've got ALL the possible updates available for win98 from MS, then you have (or don't have) the equivalent of Win98SE. Again, my issue is Internet connection sharing. I've found several sources that say you must have SE.
    I do remember when the 'puter started up, the Windows banner on bootup said WINDOWS 98SE. The SE part was in a smaller font (about 1/4 the size of the WINDOWS 98 part). That's the first thing that distubed me upon reinstalling 98. The SE wasn't there.
    I guess if you can get a Win98SE update at PriceGrabbers (never heard of Pricegrabbers......sounds like a grocery store) I would question the price. $30 at PriceGrabber, when MS was selling it for $15?
    Oops, battery low, gotta go....
    Au revoir.
    Au revoir for now......

Status
    pasa?

Administrator

Status
    Heres an article at www.annoyances.org , by far the best windoze site I have found -

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/win98se

Its called 'The scoop on Windows 98 Second Edition'.

Nutshell: Lots of the missing features can be downloaded for free, in effect upgrading you to 98se. However, some cannot. Including Internet Connection Sharing

This article shows alternatives to win98se for internet connection sharing

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-003

Google owns
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Google is getting so good all we're going to have to do is place its search box on our site and tell people to just type in what they're looking for - no more need for 'links' to other related or interesting sites.

... hmmmmm, maybe I could start marketing sites for people that contain just their picture and a google search box in whatever kind of template they desire ...

On Google ...

Anyone know how to get rid of that annoying left side frame that began popping up with Google results about a week or so ago? (It shows the top 5 picks - oftentimes just ads for unrelated web sites.)
    Last edited by benzden; 03-04-2003 at 06:47 PM.

Ugly Geezer

Status
    That thing on the left seems to come and go according to people I know who have seen it. I use Google all the time and have never seen it. May be a browser setting or experimental thing by Goo?

I wondered if it only shows to people whose privacy settings block the adwords?

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last