29 users online (1 members and 28 guests)  

Related

1. MS Access 2003 Database as exe file    Forum: Databases
    Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 1
  3. Help with Easy File Manager 1.6    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 7
  4. I need a freeware file manager.    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

Question Inhibiting access to files in my file manager

I've been hunting EVERYWHERE on the web to find the answer to this question, but there doesn't seem to an answer out there anywhere, so if someone here could help me, I'd be in your debt forever!

I'm building a web page hosted by Yahoo!, and my concern is that when I give a link to someone, they can delete the file name and access the rest of the files in my file manager. As a generic example, if my site is xyz.com, and I send someone the link to http://xyz.com/xxxx/yyyy.jpg they can erase yyyy.jpg and access the files in the subdirectory xxxx. I want to be able to inhibit outside access like this, i.e., if someone tries to access the files in that subdirectory, I want a pop-up to appear on their screen, letting them know that they do not have access to that information. I've seen it done on other websites, and I want to be able to implement this technique on my own site.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

Status
    If you can use .htaccess, that would be one way of disabling the ability to view the directory list. The simpler option would be to put an index.html file in each subdirectory that automatically redirects the user back to a selected page. benzden has some code that he uses for this. Hopefully, he'll post it here.

Status
    Here it is - - -

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>meta trf</TITLE>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=../index.html"></HEAD>
    <BODY>

</BODY> </HTML>

I routinely (when I remember) place it in every new folder I create that doesn't require it's own legitimage index.html file - most often folders containing just images or other files supporting an HTML page located in the parental folder.