43 users online (1 members and 42 guests)  

Related

1. Graphics program.    Forum: Graphics Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. Protecting content...    Forum: Internet Services
    Replies: 0
  3. Need help with protecting images    Forum: Graphics Forum
    Replies: 7
  4. SVG Rollover graphics    Forum: Graphics Forum
    Replies: 7
  5. Graphics Rollovers help please    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Exclamation Protecting Graphics

I'm an artist who sells work online. On my own site I have disabled right click & the annoying Internet Explorer image bar, so those pages are safe. MY PROBLEM IS I also use offer free e-cards, hosted by bravenet & I want to add others, BUT I can't figure out how to protect my images there.

When a user clicks on one of my designs to see an enlarged version, it brings up a page hosted at my site, though it's not a page in the usual sense. The image source is: www.mysite/imageNAME.jpg

just a blank page with the image on it.

CLick here to see what I mean:

http://pub25.bravenet.com/postcard/post.php?usernum=2141716547

Is there any code (html or otherwise!) I could put on my INDEX page to protect all graphics generated from my site?

Many thanks for any bright ideas

Oriana

Status
    One you display an image, it can be copied by anyone. Think of a song on the radio. Nothing keeps you from recording a copy for yourself once it is broadcast. You may consider offering only a watermarked image for previewing. Many people use an image galley that stores the image info in a db. Then when the image is called, it would have an address like:

http://mysite.com/img_gallery.php?gallery=1&pic=33

The gallery script would prevent anyone from simply entering that address in their browser by means of an anti-leech mechanism which means it can only be served from your domain or IP. Obviously, anti-leech is more suited toward downloadable files, but this does help prevent hotlinking.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Hello orianag, welcome to the forums
    On my own site I have disabled right click & the annoying Internet Explorer image bar, so those pages are safe
    Safe? not at all, If I had your URL I could have your images before you could say "I hate image thieves" right click may deter the user from saving your image to a desired folder on his system. But once the image is seen by the user it is already in his temp internet folder.

If you want to protect your images you cold try adding a watermark to the publicly viewable images and leave it off of the images that are actually used on the ecards.

Other than that, if you do not want people to be able to copy your images your only option is to not have any.

Dave

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    oops sorry, posted at the same time.

D

New User

Status

Lightbulb THANKS

Thanks everyone for your quick replies--I do watermark my images on my own site, I was just hoping for a magic bullet for when they are less in my control. I guess I will just have to cast a spell over them to protect them! This is a good forum, I'll be back. (Off topic: enjoyed your SEO tutorial, Dave---just wondering how you know when Google does its deep searches???)

Oriana

Super Newbie

Status
    anyone can steal your images if they're determined enough. the only way to make sure that noone gets hold of them would be not to put them up

u can put a div with a transparent image that fully stretches over your image, but the user can just tap on his print screen key. anyway, if u do find a way to fully protect your images, tell me how u do it

Status
    Yes, anyone can get your images, but I think there is a way around some of this...........

I was looking at the CSS Level 1 tutorial on w3.org, and I noticed the top image has absolutely no extension. So in that case, when I tried to open the image in the web browser, it tries to look for an index.html file in that folder (there was no folder, but since there was no extension to that file it was looking for one.)

Although, if you download the file and change the extension for .jpg or .gif or something, then it will come up. But along with the disable right mouse click, that would protect your images well.

But also...that script you use is a little bit useless in IE6 and completely in NS7. I found if you first left click on an image and then right click, the menu appears. In NS, when you right click, the menu appears and the popup comes, making it pointless. What you should find is a script that doesn't create a pop up, but just does nothing when the right mouse button is clicked...

Also, the images are not working right now.

I hope this helps a bit...

Also, on a website I went to before, it talked about disabling right mouse button clicking, and by a study or something, more people were tempted to get the images once they found that is was "protected." So having a pop-up isn't the best solution.
    Last edited by Saj; 02-27-2003 at 07:52 PM.

Administrator

Status

(Off topic: enjoyed your SEO tutorial, Dave---just wondering how you know when Google does its deep searches???)
    It seems from my logs that the deep crawl seems to be a week to week and a half before the dance begins. I have heard different results from different folks, but I have seen many seos that do not know what the actual dance really is. In other words, unless I know and trust the source I usually ignore it.

Dave