42 users online (1 members and 41 guests)  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Related

1. Meta keywords    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 3
  2. keywords    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Are meta keywords important?

This has been argued and argued again, my thoughts have always been who cares, it takes 30 seconds so I am going to put them in.

As you know, in the world of SEO it is 99% assumptions and 1% fact, today we can claim a little more fact. At the Search Engine Strategies conference the question of keywords was posed to the representatives, with the exception of Inktomi the answer was meta keywords are ignored. This does not however mean that Inktomi is the only SE that makes use of the meta keyword info, they were the only SE at the conference that do. Recently there have been more and more meta engines coming online, Gigablast and zapmeta are two of these new engines. I believe gigablast does its own spidering of the web, while zapmeta searches thru the databases of findwhat, altavista and even gigablast. I do not know if gigablast makes use of the keyword tag, zapmeta does not.

IMO it is foolish to not use the keyword tag, to think that "nobody really uses the tag so why put it in my code" is very short sighted. We never know when the Google tide will change, maybe Inktomi will take their place. I for one would not like to be left out, forced to make quick changes to keep up with the search engines, it is much easier to put the tag in place now, enjoy the limited traffic, but will be raking it in if a SE which does make use of the tag climbs to the top.

my 2 pennies

Dave

Ugly Geezer

Status
    I pondered the same question in this very forum. Since then I decided that, as we never know if/when meta's will start being more widely used they should go in.

Imagine making a huge site without meta's and then Google suddenly decides the tags (used for spam on many occasions previously) have been rehabilitated and start reading them again.

You left yourself with a lot of work to do or your Google rank plummets.

Status
    If nothing else, the META keywords provide a last resort for poorly designed pages that can't be figured out (by the search engine) by other means.

Some purely statistical pages may need them because the keywords themselves don't otherwise appear on the page.

Other pages may need them to focus attention for search engine results page titling purposes due to the enormous amount of other 'confusing to the search engine' data on the same page.

So long as the search engines keyword everything on the page, it doesn't make much difference - much of my most productive early searching (five+ years ago) found sites created by people who didn't have the slighest idea with META tags were - check out http://argos.evansville.edu/announce.htm#margos which used to return a lot of those sites. (Just discovered it went offline. What a shame! It was "the best" for finding really arcane data. Some of the other sites linked to on that announcement page may still find some of the pages that still have no META tags.)
    Last edited by benzden; 03-06-2003 at 03:06 PM.

Status
    If you are using a site search function, it is easier to index it via meta tags than a deep body text index like Atomz, especially if the search script is local and db space is limited or the index is flat file.

Status
    Why reinvent the wheel?! Isn't Google's combined www and site search box good enough?

Status
    Not necessarily. I wasn't refering to a www search, just a local search of a specific site. I have used Atomz for about three years now and they weekly send me submitted search keywords. Users would not come to my site and search for fruit baskets or sports items, but specific info on the products and services we offer. That being said, I wanted a site search function and the choices were to use a script that looks for meta tags or one that actually does a deep index and stores this info in my db. I decided to continue using Atomz as they allow me to customize the results pages to my sites design and I can set it to index on a schedule or manually and I don't have to forfeit db space and BW.

Status
    Like I said, Google's site (or www via check box) search box appears better than anything else I've seen - especially for those of us who still have web hosts who don't support our own 'sophisticated' .cgi and other server side files.

New User

Status

Re: Are meta keywords important?

Of course, meta keywords are still important in SEO. Well, these part of SEO will be very useful in optimizing your site very well. Meta keywords is one way to improve your site ranking in search engines.
    Last edited by doreengonzales; 03-24-2011 at 04:04 PM.

New User

Status

I agree it is foolish to NOT use the meta keywords when it only takes a few seconds to enter them. I don't think the search engines really count on them but in some cases when your content is a little mixed up and the search engine is trying to decide if you are talking about mrs. macs apples or apple macs, then in that case the keywords would come into play... I always add keywords just in case :P

New User

Status

You have your point! Actually, meta keywords is not important at all since it doesn't affect your rankings.

Status

Meta keywords does not important for every site.
    some sites its important.
    This all depend on sites requirement.

New User

Status

hi,

i am new bees thanks for sharing such news...

Disabled

Status

Yes, meta keywords are important.For Search Engine ranking these are very necessary.

Disabled

Status

yes these are very important as the first we set these to optimize our site our project

New User

Status

priority of meta information

1. Meta Title
    2. Meta Description
    3. Meta Keyword.

Google gives importance above 3 accordingly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last