25 users online (2 members and 23 guests)  

Related

1. Substitute For Request.form In Perl    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 11
  4. frames HELP-please?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
  5. Frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Unhappy frames substitute?

i am making a new page where i have 4 parts one top banner one left navigation bar, one right navigation bar and one main body. i want to keep the banners and navigations bars but i want to change the body depending on what the user clicks is it possible without frames. also i want to remptely link to a site which has undated news but i want it to appear on my site with my formatting how do i do that?
    thanks

Administrator

Status
    Hi there.

The only way to load a page separately is to use frames. Is it essential to have the nav menu not reload?

If you wish to have someone elses news on your site, then they need to provide a 'feed' for you. This can be done with JavaScript, or XML. look up the keywords 'syndication', 'rdf' and 'xml' on the news site and see if they provide any news feeds.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status

feed from php?

thanks a ton. i hate frames so much i put the navigation bars in all pages
    the site i want to use news feed from is
    http://science.box.sk/backend2.php
    how do i do that?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: feed from php?

Originally posted by rohan

the site i want to use news feed from is
    http://science.box.sk/backend2.php
    how do i do that?
    Have you asked them? If they are ok with it, they will be able to give you code to insert in your page.

Dave

New User

Status
    ...i want to change the body depending on what the user clicks is it possible without frames.
    I should clarify that this can be accomplished without frames IF you don't mind the top banner and L-R side navigation menus reloading each time a user clicks an internal link or menu item (not much of an issue if file sizes are optimized well).

By reloading, I mean that the same top banner and L-R nav menus will reload (from the visitors cache), looking exactly the same on every page, with just the body content changing.

You do this with tables (and can use includes), by creating a table that has two rows and three columns. The top row has the columns merged into one single column. The second row has all three columns.

The top row contains your header (banner).

The row two left column (narrow) contains your left nav menu. The row two center column (wide) contains your (changing) body content. And the row two right column (narrow) contains your right nav menu.

You can think of this table layout as a "Template" that you use for all your pages, only changing the body content when you save it as a new page.

I believe that Dave has some excellent tables tutorials on this site somewhere?

If, of course, as QuietDean stated, you need the top banner and L-R side menus NOT to load each time a link is clicked, then frames are the way to go. I just wasn't sure that that is what you meant, hence the alternative above.