49 users online (0 members and 49 guests)  

Thread: Iframes

Related

1. iframes    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Iframes    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. IFrames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  4. Need Help With IFrames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 6
  5. iframes again.....    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Question Iframes

I'll admit being something of a novice here. How do IFRAMES work? Seems like a nifty idea, but I've heard they implode on some browsers. Any help would be appreciated.
    Karl

Administrator

Status
    Hiya,

they are not supported by a lot of browsers, they tend to be not worth the trouble.

In a nutshell, they are floating frames, any size, embedded into a document. They, of course, contain another document.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    they are not supported by a lot of browsers, they tend to be not worth the trouble.
    IE4+,Opera 5+ and Mozilla/5 supports Iframes. This makes up I am guessing 95+% of users. If you don't care to learn SSI(server side includes) or Javascript doc.write, Iframes are an easy way to add dynamic content.

Embed anywhere in a webpage between the body tags:

<iframe src='somepage.html' width='200' height='200'><noframes>Your browser doesn't support Iframes.<br><a href='somepage.html' target='_blank'>Click here</a> to view somepage</noframes></iframe>

Iframes work the same as a basic frameset in that your links within the somepage.html will open within the Iframe unless targeted otherwise.
    Last edited by sonofmidi; 03-12-2003 at 11:55 PM.

New User

Status
    Both sides of the issue, both well put. Thanks!

Super Newbie

Status
    i think iFrames are good, but then again i use Frames. please don't crucify me

the fact that it allows me to embed a page into another means i can just use one page to view with just one line of code to display whatever page i want. it doesnt have the drawbacks of frames too (saving to favourites etc)