45 users online (0 members and 45 guests)  

Status

Religion.. Love it, Hate it

NOTE: this wasn't ment to start an argument.. just opinions

What do you people think about religion in general?

Often, I find myself looking out a window, wondering why we are here, why he decided to put us here, and why, if he is so perfect, did he let adam and eve do what they did...

I was raised as a christian, protestant to be exact, but I left my church about 6 months ago when my priest ended up in the hospital depressed..

That raised more questions in my mind.. Why should someone, who isn't any better than me, be telling me im a bad person, and how I should be living my life...

I suppose leaving the church was trigged by an argument between my parents and I.. I mentioned to my mother that I believed in reincarnation, though it went against her 'christian' beliefs.. I think that we are here to accomplish something, and if we don't, we are brought back to do it, no matter how long it takes..

Enough of my rant.. don't know why I posted this, just feeling weird today... any thoughts?

-Eric

Status
    So long as you leave everything better than you found it, it really doesn't make any difference what religion you believe in or follow. There are a whole lot of people who use religion as a networking opportunity to advance their own economic advancement. Others who use it to share their compassion and generosity with like-minded souls.

The only time religion become obnoxious is when it is promoted outside its domain to those who are not members.

Status
    Such as Jehova Witnesses going to your house?

Administrator

Status
    So long as you leave everything better than you found it
    Well said.

I was raised a catholic. By the time I was 12 I had pretty much given up on it.

Religion had its uses as a tool to control people, but its not really that apt in our western world.

I admire the eastern religions which propose a way of life involving self-fulfillment and kindness to others.

Most western religions, tho, seem to me to be a 'crutch'. Theres nothing wrong with having a crutch to help you stand up, but its not for me.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Taoism is probably the one most in line with my own philosophy of religion and life. http://desiderata.livemylife.com has also been a good, idealistic view of a good life - first read it 40 years ago at Fort Devons, Massachusetts

Super Newbie

Status
    religion is just a guide, you can use it to help better yourself, or live your life the way you want to, or you can instead use it to control other weak-minded individuals (like muslim extremists). it shouldn't be used as a crutch, but instead a guide to you when you're in need of one. (just an opinion)

Administrator

Status
    agreed.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    I tend to lean toward having a relationship with what I see as God, for my experience has been that religion binds 'God's hands' rather than promote an intimacy.

Just sharing....

Status
    Too many people have a picture of God that is closer to being a Super-Mommy than to anything that binds us all together toward some common goal. They believe God is there to love them unconditionally, no matter how bad they are and no matter how bad they're going to be, so that they can live their lives abusing themselves, others and nature with having to worry (conscience) or think too long (introspection) about any of it.

New User

Status

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this ...

Religion - more to the point, faith - is a personal choice. I would never attempt to shove it down anyone's throat. For me, however, it is the foundation upon which the rest of my life is built.

I believe that faith is a personal relationship with God. It's also a journey. I don't pretend to have all the answers, I don't even pretend to understand it sometimes; I just try to learn a little more every day and get a little closer to God in the process.

Status
    Karl, you've just put into words how I feel as well. I don't even pretend that I have all the questions.

Status
    It is impossible to argue with faith - except that which can be proved to be otherwise in a vocabulary and belief system acknowledged by the person living the faith-based life - and, this latter aspect is the crux of it all -- there being a whole lot of people who believe that the earth is less than 100,000 years old, regardless of all the scientific gobble-de-gook stating otherwise.

Status
    I think that alot of people benefit from believing in a higher entity. I say let them. As long as they stop nailing people to crosses.

New User

Status

Going to extremes

Good point. Like anything, taken to extremes, faith can be a dangerous. Case in point - Osama bin Laden.

Status
    The problem is that the people going to extremes merely believe that they are expressing their deeply held beliefs - and can't be convinced otherwise -- one of the reasons possibly that leaders of old chose to kill all their enemies and captives than try to convert them. History is replete with the wholesale slaughter of entire populaces throughout the globe.