40 users online (0 members and 40 guests)  

Thread: Chat room

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. Chat Room Colors    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. chat room    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. Can't see Images and Access Chat room :(?    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

Exclamation ok im new to all this but i relly need help with this..

ok i am really new to cgi perl php and all this , but im bilding a website its not up yet, i wanna get it bilt befor i put it up get the stuff ready. now here is what i want see if anyone could help me ewith. i want a simple chat but i dont wanna use a prewroten chat. i dono how hard it is to creat one, but if anyone could tell me a good place to go that tells me how to bild one ,and guid me trew it step by step . i would be greatfull and it needs to let me bane ips too. if any of u know how to bild one ,and are willing to take time out to guid me trew it. i would be greatfull,p yea but i dont wanna use irc. i want it simple for guest to use it i want it so u press the chat link and it brings you to a user login, that i controllas in i add users and passwords . again i am new to perl so this mite not even be possable but if anyone is willing to help i would be greatfull and i will link your site on mines and give you a shout out for the help . and sorry if theres miss spelling of words an stuff lol .. thanks for your time

Administrator

Status
    Hi there.

Thats a big job. I admire the fact that you wish to do this yourself.

As a beginner, I would start with php. Its got the most friendly layout and language.

have a look at some of the pre-written scripts @ www.hotscripts.com . They will have quite a few ways to make a chatroom. Once you have seen a few different ways, you can either decide to use a technique you like or try your own.

Either way, at the end of the day you will be learning. And learning is always fun! There are some great tutorials @ www.webmonkey.com for user authentification, too.

Once you get going, you will have some questions, thats fine. Post 'em here and we will be happy to help.

Good luck!
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Nobody is going to be able to come here and say do this, this, and that, and you will have a chat room. You will need to by ATLEAST a couple of quality books and learn the language and its applications until you feel you have a grasp and can do it yourself. At that point I would download and install a couple of chats looking at the code and what makes it tick.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status
    ok cool like i said im new to it and didnt know how hard it is to creat one from scratch thanks for help and i will look at them and see thanks again ..

New User

Status

finaly picked a chat i liked but need help from here

ok i found a chat i liked ,i uploaded it to my ftp . im useing tripod for a host. the chat im useing is called bluechat now i need some help i said what it told me to do but its not working im a little lost so hellllllllp lol .. thanks

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    details?????????

New User

Status
    ok i just got finished working on it but somthing is wrong here is the url http://lyricalslounge.tripod.com/cgi-bin/bluechat/bluechat.pl any ideas whats wrong ???

Administrator

Status

did you upload in ascii or binary? should be ascii, though I bet it is something more than that.

Administrator

Status

So you know in advance...

chat rooms do not work, people just do not use them on non mainstream sites, and I would lay1000:1 odds that yours will be no different, so do not be disappointed. If by some miracle you do get folks to your chat, tripod will run you off faster than you can say "log in". Chat rooms are server pigs the likes of which there is no equal. If you want a place to chat have your people download the software in this thread http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_he...?threadid=1042 (someday I will build a page for it )

Status
    Most likely the only people really in most chat rooms are FBI and various State agents pretending to be 14 year old girls - all getting paid on our dime. [Our agencies ought to be looking into the habits of those people, if you ask me.]

I've had a chat room up for almost 3 years that I doubt anyone has ever used. I tried several years ago with my brother and nephews at one they 'rented' -- it went well but was not very interesting. Did another one a couple years back at another forum - likewise went okay buy not really of great import. Regular forums like these (of a social rather than technical nature) seem better suited to chat type conversations - allowing each participant to come and go and they please and consider their response before making them.

New User

Status
    dave your right it said to upload it to ascii but how ??? im useing dreamweaver to connect to the ftp .but dono how to do that .. well i was runing a anther site ,but people wanted a chat so we could do contest . so im giving them what they want . anyone know how to upload in that form and the pics gotta be uploaded in binary form but i dono how ...

Status
    Try using a FTP program like WS_FTP LE. It's very simple to upload in either mode using it.

New User

Status
    i got the ws_ftp le now how do u set the chmod ??? i need u switch it i uploaded them in binary and ascii mode now i need to set the chmod ...

Administrator

Status

right click the file and you will see chmod in the option, it is self explnatory from there.

Dave

New User

Status
    ok but the how to install say 4. Chmod the bluechat directory 755
    Chmod the chat directory 777
    Chmod all the cgi files 755...... but when i go to change the number on it useing that programe it dont give me numbers just 3 differnt choices..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last