58 users online (0 members and 58 guests)  

New User

Status

Question What do you think?

What do you think of this page? I'm a newbie,so i need some help and suggestions on how to improve it. Thanks.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze26hvb/index.htm

Status
    Place all your text inside a

<CENTER><TABLE WIDTH=86% BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0><TR><TD>

(your text contents)

</TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER>

Play with the percentage of 86% until you're happy - that kind of a background needs space at the left and right margins. Otherwise, it looks okay. The top middle image doesn't display.
    Last edited by benzden; 03-22-2003 at 11:36 AM.

Status
    I think its ok for starters. I'd try to gather up some links, of all the places you like, and share them. Thats what I did, but now getting quite a few, and time to kinda redue what I've done. I'm very new at it aswell.Keep going!!

Status
    Kinda grabs ya. I ditto Benzden's suggestion about table.

You give no location or contact information other than your mailto link. Is this by design?

New User

Status
    Until I saw the Title and the tiny "Tommy's Tavern LLC" text at the bottom of the page, I had no idea what type of establishment (or even if it was a real establishment) the page was about.

You should concentrate on presenting your information in a way that helps the reader understand why they are on the page, what it's about, and then leads them through what it is that your presenting.

I would expect to see the name of the establishment displayed prominently. Next I want to know it's location. Then I want to know why it pertains to me and what about it would hold my interest.

Your call to action: "Attention: Musicians, blah blah blah..." is good. Cheap booze is a good incentive, but I'd like to know other factors as to why I would want to host my event at Tommy's, such as how many people it holds, are there games, is there a stage and a dance floor, etc.

Some photos of the place would be nice.

You're color scheme works, however, the background you've chosen makes the text somewhat hard to read. Consider putting the text onto a different colored (preferrably a solid color) background (maybe black?) and use the stars background just in empty areas.

You're off to a good start, but you need to present a bit more info.

By the way, where is Tommy's located?

New User

Status
    Here's my new page still under construction.

I hope you guys like it.
    Last edited by Ajax; 03-23-2003 at 06:18 PM.

Status
    Lookin' good. Here's some more tips:

Eliminate the information leave: before the EMAIL link

Place a <BR> just before New site with photos & links coming soon. or just after Check this site often for news & updates.

When using anything inside a <P> paragraph tag, such as <p align="center">, the browser also need to find the closing </P> tag in order to know when that condition ends.

Place an extra space after each period, close quotation mark, question mark or exclaimation point. I use the chr#160 but most people use the & nbsp ; codeword (remove the spaces in it when using it within HTML code).

Change the wording or WIDTH=%% when you have paragraphs that end with a sentence containing only one or two words. Try to have at least three words or a sentence at least 1/4 the length of the others in that last line.

You might try making the top of the page a table with 5 column cells:

left cell - half sized pooltable image

2nd cell - spacing WIDTH=9%

middle cell - what at the top, now

4th cell - dupe of 2nd spacing WIDTH=9%

right cell - half sized beerman image

<CENTER> the <TABLE ...>, of course, but play with the empty 2nd and 4th cell WIDTH= to maximize the separation of those half sized images. It's all a matter of taste and style, but I think that would "immediately" send a message about what the web page is about without having the user scroll down to see the full-sized, animated versions of those images.

Keep in mind that many people may never scroll beyond what displays at the top of the page - it should be the grabber that gets their attention but isn't so cluttered that it confuses them.
    Last edited by benzden; 03-24-2003 at 10:34 AM.

New User

Status
    Getting better every time I view it Ajax!

Consider this: Space (on the page) can be utilized better.

You don't necessarily have to present all the information and other page elements in a linear fashion - everything is on a line below the one above it - vertically.

You can use tables, as benzden has demonstrated, to place text and images in a horizontal fashion, but just make sure everything has it's own proper amount of space so that you don't create clutter.

Though everything doesn't necessarily have to be lined up exactly, you could think of it as columns and rows, kind of like a newspaper or brochure.

Mostly, you want to make it easy for your visitors to get the info your presenting, without scrolling too much.

Keep up the good work!

New User

Status
    Thanks Benzden & Blue for your help and suggestions. I made some modifications,i think it looks better now.

Not too bad a for guy who started learning html just a few days ago.