33 users online (0 members and 33 guests)  

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Related

1. enable and disable submit button    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 3
  3. submit button enable and disable    Forum: PHP Forum
  4. Back button.    Forum: PHP Forum
    Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Thank you for your opinion, strange how you want to silence mine.

Dave

New User

Status
    Thing is, not all HTML pages are part of external websites. I need to do this for an internal application. It is a reporting package that we use, and can customise to some degree, but cannot fundamentally change the way it operates. The connection between the web server and the application server works in such a way that, if the user uses the back button to leave the screen, a job is left in the queue on the AS.

Whilst I know it isn't the most elegant answer, I feel that this is cetainly a valid approach. We're operating in a locked down environment anyway (all users are on IE 5.5)

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    There are legit uses for everything, nobody has denied that. If you are selling Rembrandts, you probably want high res images which take up a mb. This certainly cannot mean that I should place a 1 mb logo on AHFB, and if I did I would hope somebody would point out my mistake. There are many many legit uses for popups, how many of you would complain if I placed a half dozen popup ads on everypage. Of course Gator has a legit use also, ...should I allow drive by installs? I hope not, I just passed by an offer which could have netted 4x in a month what AHFB has done since its inception.

I agree that many times I am not the most tactful person. This is one reason why I pass over some threads.If more people would like to help others, I may not ever have to post again

Dave

New User

Status
    Hi,

I have noticed you both commenting on the design flaws of attempting to disable the back and refresh buttons but I don't see much in the way of constructive advice.

I have a similar problem as if the refresh button is clicked I get the same data re-added into my database.

I have an addemployee page and a manageemployee page (the SQL statement in in the manageemployee page)

How should I redesign this so that I can

a) provide feedback to the user saying the "joe bloggs has been added"

b)refresh the page without adding duplicate data to my database

I am using a quick and dirty fix by

response.redirect "manageemployee.asp" but this prevent me providing feedback to the user.as the page is redirected before it's displayed.

I hope you can help

Many thanks

Rich

Administrator

Status
    Hi there,

Your default page could say your feedback, and also a meta-refresh or some javascript to take the user to the 'display' page in, say, 3 seconds. Much the way this forum software does it. This presents your feedback (essential in any app) and prevents the refresh problem.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Hi, I'm having the same problem with entering data into a sql database from an asp webpage. However I'm doing everything in one page. Is there any way to stop the resending of the query on refresh or do I have to use more than one webpage to get around this. I'm very new at this and am a little intimidated by multiple webpages.

Thanks

Administrator

Status

You wouold probably be better off posting your question in the mysql or asp forum. I would have moved this post but you saying "the same problem" would have left a meaningless post if in another forum

Dave

New User

Status

Disable Refresh???

I am a newbie here, but please consider this point. It appears to me that most of the members here are associating these scripting methods with Internet based sites rather than considering that some of these methods could be used for an Intranet (Internal Site).

I have a need for this very method (disabling refresh button and F5 key). I have an internal ASP application that will allow our staff to update our system with information that has been sent from outside resources. One of my pages will allow a user to preview pooled data for importing and updating and for those records that they want to import, they can simply check a checkbox associated with the record. The page may display hundreds of records at one time. What I need this method for is to prevent the viewer from unintentionally reseting the form and removing all checks for records that are supposed to be imported. If a user has checked off 150 records to be imported, after verifying each one against some other documentation, and the form was reset, they would essentially have wasted hours of labor and would have to start over. Simply disabling any refresh methods would help to prevent this. I could write some information to memory to prevent this, but the development of this application is very time sensitive. Like I needed it last week.

Please, if anyone has a method for this could you at least email it to me? Thanks.

Dave

New User

Status
    Dave,
    Try this link

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/SyncControl.asp

I am having the same issue that users refresh the page
    after submitting the form and still working on it.

Good Luck.

New User

Status

Cool Disable F5 refresh

Some fo the guys who replied looked a little old man!

If you haven't got the solution to your problem try this Javascript:

PHP Code:
    <script language="JavaScript1.2"

if (
    document.all){ 
    document.onkeydown = function (){ 
    var 
    key_f5 116// 116 = F5 

if (key_f5==event.keyCode){ 
    event.keyCode 27

return 
    false

</script> 
    I wrote a web GUI that interfaces with web cameras for my company. The user presses a button and Javascript opens another window with only the status bar, so there is no refresh button to click. The managers didn't want their users to be on these cameras all day and the IT administrators another bunch of old guys... didn't want the users to suck up all the bandwidth so the window was set with javascript to self close after 2 min. However some sneaky users found that if they hit F5 then they could reset the timer. So I used the code above to disable the F5 key. I love how you asked a perfectly good question and you get nothing but blaa blaa blaa from these old timers.

Seriously chit chat is alright around the water cooler but if someone comes to the net for an answer they shouldn't have to be run through the gauntlet to get it...

hope that code helps

Status
    Hi fijismithy,

what if i someone has a brainwave and simply disables JavaScript?

krak_d

New User

Status

F5

thanks for the hint about the refresh, although my browser still refreshes the page when I click on the refresh button ?.? Also does anybody know how to stop the back button? or at least redirect it to a 'expired' page? It's because I work with php and inside the customer login session I can not play with sessions or they will end up completely messed up. Any suggestions?

Status

Re: Disable Refresh and Back button??

I just have to mention that today I had to disable both the back button and the refresh button for a game I produced.
    If refresh is pressed then it is calculated as another winning result.
    If the back button is pressed, then the data can be submitted again and calculated as another winning result.
    Therefore I had to disable both buttons

Chris

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2