50 users online (1 members and 49 guests)  

Related

1. why won't it work??    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 3
  2. can't get a:hover to work in IE6    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. hyperlinks don't work    Forum: HTML Forum
  4. Can you tell me if it's work?    Forum: CSS Forum
    Matthew

Where to get work

Hello to everyone at AHFB

I myself am a webpage designer of sorts
    I know php/flash(MX)/html/css/Jscript/adobePS some more than others and use them in sites.

Im thinking of being a webpage designer later on, and id like to get a taste of the professional world of web design

Only problem is that im 15, and therefore school wont allow me to do anything during the day, and most companies wont allow me to do basic work/internships because of my age

Some stuff i have done is:
    http:\\www.geocities.com/portfolio1chrome

Most of my other stuff is experimental, although i have a bit of php on my computer with no host to put it on

Id really like to do some design for companies and get some experience e.g. Work Experience/Internship, but over the net

Any advice as to how to break into the world of webpage design at my age?

Matt

Status

Smile I don't mean to sound cynical but......

.....just stay in school and do web design for a hobby. Hang out your shingle and do little sites for people and have them spread the word. Spend your earnings on applications you can use, or use them for college or university tuition. Spend your spare time studying standards and trends.
    For me, this is a great hobby, but I don't think that I would enjoy doing it full time. Maybe you're different. Myself? I like to leave time for other things. I'm afraid that if I did it full time, then all my waking hours would be nagged by deadlines.
    I suppose that if you were self employed it might be a bit different.
    IMHO it's more important to a potential employer (whether full time or co-op) that you have initiative than whether you can design a website in your sleep.

Be Yourself

Status
    Hey Matthew!

What Andriod said could be right, but then it could be wrong. I'm not saying I'm a full time web designer (only part time), don't wanna be yet I'm only 16 myself, but web designing is a pretty good career in my opinion. If you know where you're headed. I know several web designers that both free lance and work for companies, and all have time to raise larger than normal families. Maybe it's just where I live, but whatever the reason, if it's something you really love, and you can make money doing it... you can't get any better combinations than that But keep at it in school, review your options, and I would really stress the importance of going to college no matter how skilled you are. My father heads a lot of things at a college, so I took some classes there (for free ) and maybe that's how I got noticed. Probably is, so it's something I would recommend.

Matthew
    Lol, who said anything about not finishing school or doing uni?

Im still doing uni, but around now i have to start looking to the future, and doing a bit of webdesign now may help me decide.

Hey Derek, thanks for your reply. You say you do webdesign work and your 16, how did you manage to get work? You going freelance or in a Company?

Matt

Status
    In order to impress anyone enough to force them to overlook their minimum requirements (other than being someone's relative), you'd do best to begin designing web pages on the internet (via some free host, if nothing else) and eventually email the web pages to people who make the decisions regarding webmasters within various firms.

It's important to do it online where everyone can see the result, because that forces one to be a bit more careful about product.

It's important to have more than one, preferably a half-dozen or so different design layouts because while learning you'll need to have differing outlets for your energy and they'll be more impressive to decision makers.

Lastly, don't promote via email any web sites with free hosts who have obnoxious banners or pop-ups. If only one banner, design the site to accomodate it just as if it were the eventual employer's banner up there.

Be Yourself

Status
    Hey,
    Basically I've gotten jobs that have come to me, a few through my sis's boyfriend, and some things say take today is "take your daughter and son to work day", came to my dads work, met a guy that heads over a bunch of city stuff and he wanted to look at my work so I really haven't had to do much marketing. It's funny my sis's exboyfriend business fell through like twice in the end but oh well (nothing to do with designing ). For now it's free lance, for later I hope to own a business and be my own boss. Free lance or Company, take whatever comes.

Derek

New User

Status

Re: Where to get work

You can search for online tutorial for learning web designing or if you need any professional you can look for the experts advices too. There are several graduate programs in which web designing and other programs are available you can check those.