53 users online (2 members and 51 guests)  

Related

1. General Interests/Left side of page help    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 3
  2. Layout question    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

General question regarding page layout

Hello,

I've idea about PHP and mysql to some extent.I would like to make it myself clear with HTML and then proceed further.Here is the question.

I want to divide the page into 3 parts.On the left side, I'll put up the navigation.The middle one is the area where I show when I click on the navigation panel.On the right side, I show some images.

STRICTLY I DONT WANT TO USE FRAMES.

For example:

On the navigation I have a link for books.When I click on books, I would like to show in the middle the list of books under two types: Technology and Programming.
    Now I click on a book title, some information about the book is shown.Is that Possible when I click on a book title only the middle part is changed and the left and right panels remain un-changed.
    I would be glad if somebody can explain me if there is a way.

Many thanks

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    What you are wanting is unfortunately...frames or iframes.

Of course there are always tables, but the entire page would change.

welcome to the forums

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status

Talking Sounds like frames are the easiest bet.

Have you got a link or two as examples of the layout you'd like to accomplish?
    You might be able to use tables or css positioning to accomplish what you'd want, and the page might change somewhat, but it really depends on whether you have absolute control over the content (or not).
    Is the content of the fields dynamic? If not, and you have absolute control over the content, then tables and/or divs might work. It would mean having a page for each possible combination of views, or go with DHTML and set it all up dynamically.
    If I remember correctly, that was how I did my first site!

Status
    One could always make both the middle and right side images that display via <A HREF=#posHere onClick="document.popMid.src='text1.jpg'" and <A HREF=#posHere onClick="document.popRight.src='text1.jpg'" with the NAME=popMid and NAME=popRight placed inside the default images displayed at those positions when the initial page loads. (The NAME=posHere should apply to the <TABLE NAME=posHere ...> that defines the 3 columned scheme.