43 users online (0 members and 43 guests)  

Thread: Kching!

Administrator

Status

Kching!

I have just been offered a small one-off consulting fee by a company called http://www.threering.net .

They basically wish me to adapt, slightly, my css tutorials into lessons to fir the format of the lessons they have already.

Should be a very small amount of work, anyone think of any pitfalls?
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    1: Who is going to own the copyrighted work? In most instances they would, but in this case would it be possible for your own work to be your own competition?

I think I would try real hard to maintain copyright, if they put up resistance this could be used as a bargaining point to legitimately raise the price.

2: Be sure to collect atleast half upfront with the remaining half due upon completion.

3: set a specific amount of rewrites, one. In other words when complete they can look it over, point you to what they want changed one time, project over, pay up. (of course they will come back a second time with minor details, give it to them then draw the line)

congrats!
    Dave

Status

You beat me to it Dave.

Read the small print.....
    Will you still have copyrights? Or are you signing those off?
    The "one off consulting fee" better be worth it if that's what they're asking.

Administrator

Status
    I'm such a money newbie I never even thought of those issues. Thanks Dave.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Administrator

Status
    ups, and Android. You were posting while I was

Status
    And provide enough time for their check to clear or require a 'good' funds transfer into your bank account before considering releasing your work product.

Administrator

Status
    I got this reply when asking about copyright -

We would be willing to let you retain all rights to the content, except that we would like to have an unhindered license to use it as our CSS course, meaning that we would be able to modify it in the future if we so desire, and that you wouldn't be receiving royalties on it. Other than that, you would still own your original content, and could feel free to do anything you want with it.

Regarding the rewrites, we hopefully wouldn't need to go through multiple iterations. I basically just need to make sure that it would fit the general format that we've already established for the HTML course. If you hadn't had a chance to take a look at it yet, please do so. That'll give you a better idea of what we're looking for.

Also, just so you're aware, I've asked a few other people if they'd be interested, so we're still shopping around. I just wanted to make sure you're aware of that up front.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    James
    After reading this, I am thinking 'no'. What do you guys think?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Personally, I would not write it off. If I am paying somebody to do a job I would want the copyright. In this instance giving them the copyright could open the door for them to use the material to compete against you. Of course I am not saying this is what they will do, I am just looking at what could happen, in other words CYA. Maybe you would want to agree to them having copyright providing that the material is never made public to the internet as a whole, but kept behind a password only to their "students". Again CYA, without specifying a penalty for making it public, you will have a hard time enforcing it.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Administrator

Status

btw, I did some research on the company and am unable to find any bad PR. I also did a little on James and find nothing. Pretty much the type of company I prefer to do business with, small, not very well known but yet has been around long enough to get a bad reputaion if it was deserved. Looks to me like an excellent opportunity for mutual growth if you can come to a meeting of the minds.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    There have been numerous instances in the past where the creators of (content) have capitalized on the promotional efforts of others who licensed their (product) - one of which has been to promote themselves as the "creator or originator" of the by then very popular (product).

Depending upon the amount of money involved, I'd have an attorney check to make sure your list of concerns is covered - don't go to a lawyer without a written list of concerns.

Administrator

Status

Syndication is always an option and should be considered. Similar to the thread last week by phillyburbs, I think this is what he was interested in. The difference being he was interested to get into doing it seriously, this can be tough with all the free content available. Here, you already have a prospect and it is just a matter of working out what would be beneficial to all parties.

IMO, since they would like the copyright I doubt they would have interest. Syndication is a hard sell (great freebie ), If I am paying I want unique content...and the copyright.

Dave

Status
    The law is out of my league, but as far as I'm concerned if there's money involved and you've got questions, get legal advice. If legal advice is going to cost more than the "small one-off consulting fee" though, then negotiation is in order. No one can blame you for protecting your work and your rights.