49 users online (0 members and 49 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. Replies: 3
  2. Limit length of drop-down menu    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 0
  3. HTML Time Limit!?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  4. Replies: 13
    New User

Status

Angry Time limit by web hosts:

Hi,

could anyone please tell me if web host limit the time allowed to download a web page or a file.

I have a frustrating problem with my web host (iPowerWeb): File transfer is stopped without any error message before the complete file is received. Result: a corrupted file.

Example: File http://www.mycq.org.au/Hall_hire/MYCQ_HIRE_Conditions_v5.doc
    is 98 Kbytes long. Download this file via a dial-up modem and the downloaded file could be anything between 45 Kbytes and 98 Kbytes long. All my web users with dial-up modems have the same problem. It works fine with users with broadband Internet access.

My details are:

Web host: iPowerWeb
    URL: www.mycq.org.au
    Developed with: FrontPage 2000

Thanks
    Gerd Kircher

Administrator

Status
    It does sound slike a timeout issue.
    Have you spoken to iPowerweb about this?
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Yes, I have contacted iPowerWeb's technical support, but I never received any meaningful answer. They claim it must all be our fault:

- Our computer setup is wrong
    - Its is caused by our Internet Service Providers
    - Similar nonsense

This went on for 2 weeks until I pulled the plug. I am moving my website back to our original host (WebCentral Australia) and continue my search for a reliable low cost web host.

Do you know a reliable low cost web host? I need 200 Mbyte storage, FrontPage server extensions and basic, but reliable technical support.

Administrator

Status
    We have a host directory here

Click Here
    Last edited by HTML; 03-23-2009 at 03:59 PM.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    You may want to do a search for ipowerweb in these forums too.

Regards,

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status

Smile

Thanks,

How have the web hosts on you list been selected? Is this random selection or did you attempt to list the high quality ones only and eliminate the troublemakers.

I noticed that iPowerWeb did not make it on your list. Any particular reason?

Administrator

Status
    Checkout this thread , I think it explains why they are not in the directory

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Ipowerweb

Ipowerweb will not be in the directory anytime soon. I am pretty picky about who I advertise for, I feel in the end it works out better.

I have done basic research on all that are listed, some are free some are paid for. I will be removing Be-hosted probably tonight, Not because of problems I have seen, but how they were handled, which is the primary concern. I will also be adding more soon, but have get the time to do the proper research first.

Dave

Administrator

Status

I posted the link too, I started an hour ago with my reply but got to watching the POW homecoming...so in a sense we were posting at the same time lol

D

Administrator

Status
    heh. This is 3:45 in the morning for me! I need to drink less. then again, this is easter bank-holiday weekend. Enjoy!

Administrator

Status

lol, I was a little surprised to see you up still, but just a little

D

Status
    You may want to inquire on how your BW is broken down. Most hosts offer unlimited BW for HTML, images, etc. Files such as .exe, .zip, .mp3, etc., will be limited to probably 10 or less G/mo. Sites with paid ad banners will be limited too. BTW, Dave, look into Siteturn Networks as a potential web host entry for your directory. I use them for my company and have been very satisfied.
    Last edited by sonofmidi; 04-19-2003 at 11:08 PM.

Status
    There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth (see http://unlimband.com ). It's not the norm for a reputable host to offer unlimited bandwidth. I've only hosted with one host that offered "unlimited" and I left before my 30 day free trial was over.

My 1/50th of a dollar.

Status
    Perhaps a little misleading, but as I prefaced, the unlimited was for basic sites that have average images and HTML. An average site that doesn't offer downloads, will usually never use 20G of BW much less 10G. My company offers ~ 250k PDF brochures and I don't think we have ever exceeded more than a few G/mo. The hosts depend on this for their profits. At Siteturn in their hosting features, the unlimited bandwidth links to a popup that clearly spells out how your BW usage will be accessed. I agree that if a host offers unlimited BW and leaves it at that, is wrong and certainly misleading. If a user thinks that they can simply offer downloads of exes and mp3s w/o any penalty for overextending the BW allotment, then they are naive. Problem is, too many users got used to free hosts and when they actually get a real account, there is a responsibility involved to manage it. Getting a dedicated server like at Rackshack is the way to go if your BW needs are at 200G or more and is only like $100/mo. Besides, if you are serving over 200G/mo in downloads etc., and not charging for services, then you have a poor business model.

Status
    An average site that doesn't offer downloads, will usually never use 20G of BW much less 10G.
    I've had a 20Mb site use 140Gb transfer in one month. Only HTML and images. No downloads, no exes, no music, etc. I would be in compliance with their ToS regarding file types. Would they host me? I would bet not, and I would bet that they would use their catchall ToS statement about using excessive resources.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last