32 users online (0 members and 32 guests)  

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Related

1. Replies: 3
  2. Limit length of drop-down menu    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 0
  3. HTML Time Limit!?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  4. Replies: 13

Status
    Dang Enigma, I hope it was your forum and not a SP account. HTH can you use up 140G on a 20MB account?

Status
    Nope, it wasn't a forum and it wasn't SP (it was actually on tera-byte). And when I got the bill for the bandwidth overage, I asked myself the same question.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    SOM,

I have checked out Siteturn, I cannot in good concious recommend them in our Web Host Directory.

My first concern was seeing that the owner stated they squeeze 600-800 accounts per server. I figured to do that they must have some pretty tough hardware, looking at the site they do not say what they have.

As I dug deeper I see just to many unresolved complaints, and probably the scariest thing of all, "unlimited transfer". Why are people still using the same old sad line of "unlimited transfer", worse is more and more web hosts are doing this now. You and I know this is not true, many do not and fall for it. I would rather have a host who offers low transfer limits but tells me where I stand than one who posts unlimited in order to cut me off when they feel I have used too much.

I am thankful for the input, hopefully they will address these issues at some point and I can re-evaluate. Sadly I have to leave the $50.00 a sign up on the table
    Last edited by HTML; 03-23-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    my apologies, I have been in and out of this thread and a million other things over the last week and have not had much time to dedicate to any one thing. I had read the thread as it progressed, but should have reviewed it previous to my last post. I did not mean to rehash what had been discussed

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    Well, I found probably the site you did that stated some complaints from a few folks. Show me a shared server host that doesn't. Eric steered me toward sitepoint forums when I chose Siteturn re: some negative threads in their hosting forum. There have been none since, so I am not sure the testimonials from a handfull of users constitutes a conspiracy. Secondly, if you had clicked the "Unlimited Bandwidth" on their hosting plan page, it popups a window that clearly states how your BW is determined. Unlimited for basic HTML etc. and metered for exe, mp3 and ad servers. I see too many great plans that only give maybe 250MB and 6GB transfer with no phone support, no uptime guarantee and no moneyback guarantee. Like I mentioned earlier, if you think you can get a shared server hosting account and plan to serve tons of downloads, you will crapout the account in no time. The difference here is Siteturn is an actual host with datacenters and cisco switching, toll-free phone and online support as well as free parking of my domain. The setup is waved with prepaid accounts. No phone support, low BW limits, etc. reek of reseller hosting and I had my fill of that. BTW, where did you get that figure of 500+ accounts per server?

Administrator

Status

I agree that posts made to a forum will 9 times out of 10 be negative, just the nature of the beast. However, this does not mean they should be ignored when making a decison, just that more research needs to be done to weigh the "evidence". You know me from the old days, when I would nail BSers to the wall at SP, the same thing applies.Is it substantiated, is it likely, is it habitual, have attempts been made to correct the problem. I obviously have to draw the line in research somewhere, and there will always be things that I miss both pro and con, but I assure you when I have made a decision I am comfortable with it.

I do appreciate that they post the specifics, though I must say I did not even know the features were links to the fine print, I thought it was plain text.

Now that I have actually seen what the plan is, I am not sure I understand it.

SiteTurn's customers are privileged to be offered unlimited website traffic. Unlimited traffic applies to standard web documents (JPEG, GIF and HTML). All other types of files such as (ZIP, MP3, MPEG, EXE, RA, RM, etc.) are subject to 10 GB of transfer per month. Sites containing paid advertisements, such as banner ads are allowed 20 GB of transfer per month. Any customer who exceeds this limit will be notified by SiteTurn to resolve the situation.
    Do you happen to know what they are talking about with the banner ads getting 20MB? The way it is written it looks to me like it is instead of 10 for downloads, but since banners are usually gif or similiar it should be considered a "standard" document. Maybe they are talking about users who promote siteturn through banners?

BTW, where did you get that figure of 500+ accounts per server?
    It was a newsgroup posting by Kevin Javaheri, apparently a tech guy there. The actual numbers are 500-800 and not 600-800. He was considering mod_backhand.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status
    LOL, rather confused myself.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2